Developer Advocate - Bloomberg Quant Platform (BQuant)
Bloomberg is the global leader in business and financial data, news and insight. Using the power of technology, we connect the world's decision makers to accurate information on the financial markets - and help them make faster, smarter decisions. So where does BQuant fit in?
Finance is changing, and fast; new financial professionals are even learning python themselves. Here in our San Francisco office we've identified an opportunity to reach this tech savvy client base by building a product that opens our data, core products and visualizations to data scientists, ML researchers, and quantitative modelers.
Gone are the days of downloading raw CSV files! The BQuant platform allows users to bring their algorithms to our data, not the other way around. Our service provides a unified environment where users can develop their code and test, share, and deploy it easily. Our impact? Providing the entire industry with tools that are currently only available to large banks and hedge funds, through customer deployed installations in enterprise environments. Who are our users? What are their challenges?
Our users span the spectrum from experienced quant researchers, to financial professionals who are learning new programming skills for the first time.
By providing our users a full Python programming environment that gives access to Bloomberg data and services, BQuant puts much more power and flexibility in their hands than ever before. However, this comes at a cost. The learning curve on the platform is steep! Our users need to learn how to programmatically access and manipulate Bloomberg's myriad datasets, and they need to learn how to use new libraries for financial analysis and interactive visualizations. The learning curve is even steeper for those who are new to programming, or new to Python.
In addition, given the inherent flexibility of a programming environment, it is easy to write code that performs suboptimally or is difficult to maintain. Our users need a way to easily learn and adopt best practices on the platform to avoid these pitfalls.
We want to build a large community of new developers who can leverage the power BQuant provides. To do this, we need to learn how to engage with our users differently, to teach and equip them with a new set of skills, and help them become excited about and productive in BQuant as quickly as possible. We need to understand how they learn and what their common stumbling blocks are, and we need to generate excellent content and tools for their journey. That's where you come in! As a developer advocate for BQuant, we'll trust you to:
You need to have:
- Lead the mission to equip our users with new skills by driving and owning our technical content strategy
- Collaborate closely with multiple departments to understand our users' workflows and to deeply understand BQuant's features and library APIs, including best practices
- Write and maintain excellent developer tutorials and workflow templates
- Write and maintain guides to help our users navigate breaking changes in libraries
- Incorporate and teach best practices through the tutorials and resources on the platform
- Create videos and supplementary material to introduce users to new features or new workflows
- Review and standardize written or video content produced from other sources
- Advocate for our users: Collect feedback and influence product or marketing decisions to make our users as productive as possible in this new development environment
We'd love to see:
- 2+ years of programming experience in Python
- A strong understanding of idiomatic Python and Python best practices
- A strong understanding of general programming best practices
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Experience writing technical documentation
- Experience teaching, or an appreciation for pedagogical techniques
- An appreciation for how our data sets underpin the world's financial systems - if you don't know anything about finance, you'll pick it up by interacting with a world-class team of market experts.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.