Fixed Income Analyst/Trader
- Competitive salary
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Matthews Asia
- 07 Dec 17 2017-12-07
We are an established boutique advisor managing mutual funds and institutional client’s funds in Asia’s capital markets. This position will support the fixed income team in research and trading of Asian fixed income securities. The three core areas of research include credit, rates, and currencies.
Fixed Income Analyst/Trader
San Francisco, California
Founded by G. Paul Matthews in 1991, Matthews International Capital Management, the advisor to Matthews Asia Funds, believes in the long-term growth of Asia, concentrating our efforts and expertise exclusively within the region. As an independent, privately owned firm, Matthews is the largest dedicated Asia-only investment specialist in the United States. Our investment offerings provide a broad range of strategies for building a global portfolio that includes exposure to Asia.
Additional information on Matthews International Capital Management, LLC and Matthews Asia Funds can be found at www.matthewsasia.com.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: This position will report to the Lead Portfolio Manager
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are an established boutique advisor managing mutual funds and institutional client’s funds in Asia’s capital markets. This position will support the fixed income team in research and trading of Asian fixed income securities. The three core areas of research include credit, rates, and currencies. We will express our views through investment grade, high yield, and convertible bonds of corporates or sovereigns in hard and local currencies, as well as derivatives such as futures, forwards, interest rate swaps and credit default swaps. The candidate is likely to have 2-4 years of experience as an analyst in an investment bank or asset management firm. The analyst/trader will likely have expertise in one of the three core areas of credit, currencies or interest rates, with the aptitude and eagerness to develop expertise in the remaining areas.
- Develop long term buy/sell recommendations in corporate credit, sovereign credit, rates and currencies
- Trading, which will could include US, Asia, and Europe trading hours
- Develop financial and valuation screens/models, reflecting the company’s business performance and forecast, in particular with an eye towards modeling issuer cash flows, asset quality and prospects for dividend payments
- Productionize models by programming in Excel VBA
- Generate content for marketing, including presentations and publications of the team
- Contribute to the development of investment process across all three core research areas of credit, rates and currencies
- Contribute to the build-out of a robust fixed income research, trading, and analytics infrastructure
- Establish relative value inter- and intra issuer; ability to discern the most appropriate instrument to express investment thesis
- Experience in analyzing emerging markets and fixed income securities strongly preferred
- Experience analyzing high yield, distressed and/or convertible securities is a plus
- Previous experience in trading local/hard currency securities and/or currencies, futures, forwards, interest rate swaps and credit default swaps a plus
- Facility with fixed income analytics, strong quantitative skills
- Ability to develop over time a consistent investment process that leads to outperformance
- Curiosity; self-awareness; willingness to learn
- Ability to communicate ideas and decisions in a coherent, timely manner
- Attention to detail is critical to minimize potential for trading error
- Keen interest in investing
- Must be a motivated, open-minded, flexible, independent thinker and a self-starter
Undergraduate degree and MBA/MFE/CFA