Principal Software Engineer
Make Next Happen Now. For more than 30 years, Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) has helped innovative companies and their investors move bold ideas forward, fast. SVB provides targeted financial services and expertise through its offices in innovation centers around the world. With commercial, international and private banking services, SVB helps address the unique needs of innovators. We are looking for a hands-on Principal Software Engineer with a passion for designing repeatable delivery process and implementing frameworks that enable projects to flow quickly and safely to production with user feedback loop capability. You are regarded as an expert with not only strong process and automation skills, but an approachable style as well. You are proactive, always seeking ways to improve and simplify process through automation.
• Design and develop technical solutions that meet user needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, and reliability.
• Provide development leadership (Architecture, Design, Development) for medium to large sized projects and maintenance on our client facing online and mobile banking systems.
• Drive department best practices, guidelines implementation and adhering to standards.
• Experience building and maintaining large software platforms.
• Empathy with developers. Innate desire to create a superlative developer experience down to the last detail.
• Deep love of building elegant, maintainable, well-documented, secure code.
• Abstracting and refactoring should be a passion, not a chore.
• Drive to learn new things and go above and beyond the call of duty.
• Always working to improve yourself and constructively support the team around you.
• Provide technical and development leadership (Architecture, Design, oversight) for business solutions. This includes technical co-ordination and decision making for project work.
• Drive technical designs to consensus and approval by Architecture Review Team. Design and develop enterprise solutions for specific business need that provide frameworks, interfaces and services that can be extended and reused for future requirements.
• Performs impact analysis of proposed changes on existing architecture, capabilities, system priorities, and technology solutions; looks for additional solution options or trade-offs. Identifies cost/benefit implications of proposed solutions (e.g. people, processes, technology, strategy, finance).
• Creates and maintains application architecture and related assets. Be the go-to person for development team on architecture discussions. The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive Qualifications
14+ years of progressive experience as a Software Engineer.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
• Must have technical lead experience for medium to large sized projects.
• Ability to influence the architecture and design.
• Demonstrated expertise developing rich and responsive web applications.
• Experience and exposure developing mobile applications (browser based, hybrid or native).
• Strong passion towards building tools and systems that enable engineers to push code quickly and safely.
• Excellent communication skills, take initiative attitude and very collaborative.
• Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and designing for performance, scalability, and availability.
• Ability to pick up new technologies quickly and find the right tool for the job.
• Implementation experience of software design patterns and best practices applicable to J2EE or .NET frameworks
• Experience with payment gateways, domestic and internal payment systems, credit cards and FX is a plus
• Must have proven experience managing tasks across 3 to 5 distributed team members.
• Manages all deliverables between on-site and off-site vendor teams.
• Implementation experience of software design patterns and best practices, including secure software development life cycle (SSDLC).
• Must be able to follow development processes required for efficient, effective and repeatable implementations.
• Strong understanding of SOA concepts. Must have development exposure to Enterprise integration and SOA technologies. Experience with implementing SSO and security protocols like SAML2.0, OAuth2.0 etc.
• Knowledge and experience with RDBMS is essential.
• Prior experience with regulated financial organization is preferred.