Accounting Manager, Corporate Accounting
Bridgewater Associates is a premier asset management firm, focused on delivering unique insight and partnership for the most sophisticated global institutional investors. Our investment process is driven by a tireless pursuit to understand how the world's markets and economies work - using cutting edge technology to validate and execute on timeless and universal investment principles.
Powering this engine requires a diverse community of investment professionals, technologists, managers and other specialists. The firm attracts independent thinkers who share a commitment to achieving excellence in their respective lines of work and operating in our unique culture. Bridgewater was founded in 1975 and its principal offices are located in Westport, CT - an hour outside New York City. Our Culture
Bridgewater aspires to be an idea meritocracy in which radical transparency and believability-weighted decision-making allow the best ideas to prevail. Feedback is frequent and flows in all directions, meetings are recorded and shared, mistake-based learning is encouraged, and everyone is expected to uphold high standards of excellence and personal accountability.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) is central to that mission - to develop the deepest understanding of markets and economies we must find, retain, and grow the best talent across gender identity, race and ethnicity, sexual orientation, gained experiences, and more. To unlock the power of that diversity also requires an inclusive environment. In pursuit of this vision, Bridgewater has a full-time D&I team reporting to our CEO, vibrant affinity networks, and several companywide initiatives to drive progress. Ask your Bridgewater recruiter to learn more. About the Finance Department
Finance is the guardian of Bridgewater's financial resources. We seek to drive sustainable shareholder value by controlling, safeguarding, and optimizing use of the firm's financial resources. This responsibility is fulfilled by providing strategic partnership, insights and independent challenge along with the delivery of high-quality financial reporting, forecasting and analysis while maintaining effective and efficient operational control. To further Finance 's impact , the Chief Financial Officer has launched a n aggressive transformation platform to enrich insights, improv e reporting , risk and control operations and ultimately developing more intimate , influential relationship with business leaders . About the Corporate Accounting Team:
The Corporate Accounting team is responsible for producing and maintaining the single source of financial truth within Bridgewater. The team ensures that accurate and timely financial information is readily available to a variety of internal and external stakeholders. Currently, the Corporate Accounting team is transforming how it meets the various demands of these stakeholders which include the Bridgewater management team, external auditors, and our shareholders. Central to this evolution, will be shaping our partnership with key offshore vendors and streamlining a variety of processes and methods of reporting. The team will also lead the department's understanding and implementation of accounting policy, ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles ("GAAP") and operate a n environment that both prevents errors and detects them in order to safeguard Bridgewater's assets . About Y our R ole :
The Accounting Manager is an effective leader, capable of motivating and managing in-house and offshore team members, and a rich subject-matter expert who ensures the effective application of accounting principles and delivery of accurate financial information to critical stakeholders. The Accounting Manager must be excited to build a unique team and develop the capabilities of both in-house and offsite staff. This team, led by the Accounting Manager, must flawlessly execute and evolve Bridgewater's a ccounting risk controls, processes and reporting. The Accounting Manager will also serve as critical input on the analysis, impact , and implementation of accounting events and will partner closely with auditors to ensure a seamless audit process. You will drive the following r esponsibilities :
You will be a click for the role if you :
- Set standards for all general accounting functions, ensuring accurate and timely delivery of financial data in accordance with company policies and US GAAP
- Build , d evelop and manage a n excellent team of diverse in-house and outsource d accounting professionals
- Continuously assess risk and improve processes to minimize risk and improve efficiencies
- Partner with business and department leaders to effectively analyze and operationalize accounting events
- Oversee financial close and audit process es , partnering closely with finance management across all disciplines
Minimum quali fications :
- Build great teams ; have the ability to both understand, motivate and develop staff and peers
- Have excellent interpersonal skills with a proven track-record of managing customers and vendors
- Are an exceptional owner with a passion for creating solutions to problems
- Are organized, reliable and can effectively juggle multiple workstreams on tight deadlines
- Think logically and agilely and quickly cut through problems in fast-paced environment
- Have a "continuous improvement" mindset in all responsibilities ; minimizing risk and increasing efficiency
Why Choose Bridgewater?
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Accounting with a strong academic track record
- CPA with 10 + years of progressive experience ; Big 4 experience is preferred
- Experience in supervisory role, ideally managing both in-house and outsourced staff
- Proven track record in operationalizing U.S. GAAP accounting policies/interpretations
- Proficien cy with accounting software and systems implementation , experience in Workday is a plus
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
It takes all types to make Bridgewater great. We seek a diverse group of innovative thinkers and push them to engage in rigorous and thoughtful inquiry. We develop people through an honest examination of their abilities and performance, enabling personal growth and professional development. We strive to provide you opportunities that will challenge you and unlock your potential.
In this role, you will grow with us by:
- Learning how to build teams that span levels and organizations
- Developing rich expertise across a broad set of accounting areas while gaining exposure to Finance and company leaders
- Taking on oversight and mentorship responsibilities to grow talent.
- Opportunities to grow your career across Bridgewater depending on your strengths, weaknesses, and experience.
One of our core priorities at Bridgewater is to enable our employees to build a great life and career, and we believe our benefits are an important extension of that philosophy. As such, currently Bridgewater offers a competitive suite of benefits including:
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered and access to additional concierge medical services
- 401(k) plan with generous employer match
- Paid time off, including fully paid parental leave and a competitive PTO package
- Workplace flexibility and access to back up childcare
- Financial assistance for family building support, including adoption and egg freezing
- Workplace wellness, including on-site gyms, free meals and healthy snacks, and meditation rooms
- An engaged and active community that includes many company events, affinity networks, and extracurricular interest groups
Bridgewater reserves the right to change its current benefits program at any time, in a manner that is consistent with applicable federal and state regulations
This job description is not a contract and confers no contractual rights, privileges, or benefits on any applicant or potential applicant. Bridgewater has the right to change any and all terms of this job description, including, but not limited to, job responsibilities, qualifications and benefits. Nothing in this job description constitutes an offer or guarantee of employment. Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Bridgewater Associates, LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer