Policy and Reporting Lead, Corporate Accounting
Bridgewater Associates is a premier asset management firm, focused on delivering unique insight and partnership for the most sophisticated global institutional investors. Our investment process is driven by a tireless pursuit to understand how the world's markets and economies work - using cutting edge technology to validate and execute on timeless and universal investment principles.
Powering this engine requires a diverse community of investment professionals, technologists, managers and other specialists. The firm attracts independent thinkers who share a commitment to achieving excellence in their respective lines of work and operating in our unique culture. Bridgewater was founded in 1975 and its principal offices are located in Westport, CT - an hour outside New York City. Our Culture
Bridgewater aspires to be an idea meritocracy in which radical transparency and believability-weighted decision-making allow the best ideas to prevail. Feedback is frequent and flows in all directions, meetings are recorded and shared, mistake-based learning is encouraged, and everyone is expected to uphold high standards of excellence and personal accountability.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) is central to that mission - to develop the deepest understanding of markets and economies we must find, retain, and grow the best talent across gender identity, race and ethnicity, sexual orientation, gained experiences, and more. To unlock the power of that diversity also requires an inclusive environment. In pursuit of this vision, Bridgewater has a full-time D&I team reporting to our CEO, vibrant affinity networks, and several companywide initiatives to drive progress. Ask your Bridgewater recruiter to learn more. About the Finance Department
Finance is the guardian of Bridgewater's financial resources. We seek to drive sustainable shareholder value by controlling, safeguarding, and optimizing use of the firm's financial resources. This responsibility is fulfilled by providing strategic partnership, insights and independent challenge along with the delivery of high-quality financial reporting, forecasting and analysis while maintaining effective and efficient operational control. To further Finance 's impact , the Chief Financial Officer has launched a n aggressive transformation platform to enrich insights, improv e reporting , risk and control operations and ultimately developing more intimate , influential relationship with business leaders . About the Corporate Accounting Team:
The Corporate Accounting team is responsible for producing and maintaining the single source of financial truth within Bridgewater. The team ensures that accurate and timely financial information is readily available to a variety of internal and external stakeholders. Currently, the Corporate Accounting team is transforming how it meets the various demands of these stakeholders which include the Bridgewater management team, external auditors, and our shareholders. Central to this evolution, will be shaping our partnership with key offshore vendors and streamlining a variety of processes and methods of reporting. The team will also lead the department's understanding and implementation of accounting policy, ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles ("GAAP") and e stablish and operate a controlled environment that both prevents errors and detects them in order to safeguard Bridgewater's assets . About Y our R ole :
The Policy and Reporting Lead will be a critical player in shaping Bridgewater's understanding, interpretation and implementation of accounting policies. The Policy and Reporting Lead will partner with the Policy and Reporting manager to address the technical accounting needs of stakeholders including business leaders , shareholders and auditors. The Policy and Reporting Lead will drive the execution of new US GAAP standards and the appropriate documentation of policy interpretations. The Policy and Reporting Lead should also evolve reporting processes while partnering with the Policy and Reporting Manager to provide critical training to stakeholders and guidance to executives on how accounting policies /interpretations may impact strategic decisions. You will drive the following r esponsibilities :
You will be a click for the role if you :
- Support Corporate Accounting's stakeholders with their technical accounting and reporting needs arising from Bridgewater's strategic initiatives and day-to-day operations
- Maintain/create accounting policies and ensure that those policies are consistently applied across the organization
- Provide training, with the Policy and Reporting manager, to department and business leaders on new policies and policy changes
- Drive implementation of new U . S . GAAP accounting standards relevant to Bridgewater
- Prepare (i) consolidated financial statements/footnotes for Bridgewater entities in accordance with U.S. GAAP and (ii) regulatory filings
- Assist w ith the operationalization of accounting policies/U.S. GAAP interpretations
Minimum quali fications :
- Are an exceptional owner with a passion for creating solutions to problems
- Have excellent interpersonal skills with a proven track-record of managing customers
- Are an exceptional communicator (verbally and in writing) ; able to distill complex accounting topics to a variety of stakeholders
- Can effectively juggle multiple workstreams on tight deadlines
- Are organized, reliable, detailed-orientated, with an eye for spotting and correcting errors
- Think logically , agilely and quickly cut through problems in fast-paced environment with exceptional focus on practical considerations
- Have a 'continuous improvement' mindset in all responsibilities ; minimizing risk and increasing efficiency
Why Choose Bridgewater?
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Accounting with a strong academic track record
- CPA with 6 + years of experience in both public accounting and in-house technical accounting/reporting role
- Multiple years at Big 4 Accounting firm with experience as part of ( at least one of three) :
- National Office, or client-facing accounting/transaction advisory group
- Accounting Policy or financial reporting group (SEC/non-SEC)
- Member of FASB/IASB Project team
- Thorough and broad understanding of US GAAP ; deep insights in leases, compensation, IUSW/fixed assets, consolidation, and partnership accounting a plus
It takes all types to make Bridgewater great. We seek a diverse group of innovative thinkers and push them to engage in rigorous and thoughtful inquiry. We develop people through an honest examination of their abilities and performance, enabling personal growth and professional development. We strive to provide you opportunities that will challenge you and unlock your potential.
In this role, you will grow with us by:
- D eepening and broadening your subject - matter expertise while providing advice to Bridgewater leaders on highly visible corporate tran sactions and initiatives
- Being part of, and learning from, a group of highly intellectual and driven individuals striving to make Corporate Accounting operate excellently Taking on oversight and mentorship responsibilities to grow talent as you gain experience.
- Opportunities to grow your career across Bridgewater depending on your strengths, weaknesses, and experience.
One of our core priorities at Bridgewater is to enable our employees to build a great life and career, and we believe our benefits are an important extension of that philosophy. As such, currently Bridgewater offers a competitive suite of benefits including:
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered and access to additional concierge medical services
- 401(k) plan with generous employer match
- Paid time off, including fully paid parental leave and a competitive PTO package
- Workplace flexibility and access to back up childcare
- Financial assistance for family building support, including adoption and egg freezing
- Workplace wellness, including on-site gyms, free meals and healthy snacks, and meditation rooms
- An engaged and active community that includes many company events, affinity networks, and extracurricular interest groups
Bridgewater reserves the right to change its current benefits program at any time, in a manner that is consistent with applicable federal and state regulations
This job description is not a contract and confers no contractual rights, privileges, or benefits on any applicant or potential applicant. Bridgewater has the right to change any and all terms of this job description, including, but not limited to, job responsibilities, qualifications and benefits. Nothing in this job description constitutes an offer or guarantee of employment. Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Bridgewater Associates, LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer