Senior Operational Risk Manager - Citi Retail Services and Customer Conduct Risk Coverage - SVP
Job Description About Citi
Citi, the leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Our core activities are safeguarding assets, lending money, making payments and accessing the capital markets on behalf of our clients.
Citi's Mission and Value Proposition explains what we do and Citi Leadership Standards explain how we do it. Our mission is to serve as a trusted partner to our clients by responsibly providing financial services that enable growth and economic progress. We strive to earn and maintain our clients' and the public's trust by constantly adhering to the highest ethical standards and making a positive impact on the communities we serve. Our Leadership Standards is a common set of skills and expected behaviors that illustrate how our employees should work every day to be successful and strengthens our ability to execute against our strategic priorities.
Diversity is a key business imperative and a source of strength at Citi. We serve clients from every walk of life, every background and every origin. Our goal is to have our workforce reflect this same diversity at all levels. Citi has made it a priority to foster a culture where the best people want to work, where individuals are promoted based on merit, where we value and demand respect for others and where opportunities to develop are widely available to all. POSITION OBJECTIVE
The Senior Operational Risk Manager role will be responsible for oversight of Customer Conduct Risk at the Global Consumer Business (GCB) level and will also have responsibility for US Product oversight as defined in the team's mandate. The individual will provide oversight of operational risk identification, assessment, monitoring and mitigation process. The individual will perform the role through proactive engagement with the Business management, and through effective challenge in formal governance forums and in day-to-day management processes. The objective is to ensure compliance with Citi's Operational Risk Framework and policies as well as to meet "Heightened Standards" from Regulators for the 2nd Line of Defense.
Reporting to the Business or Function Coverage Lead Operational Risk Group Manager, this position will work closely with Business and Product Managers, Business Heads, in-business Operational Risk and Control Managers, as well as Independent Risk and other control functions (Compliance, Legal, HR) in carrying out job responsibilities. BUSINESS COVERAGE SCOPE
This primary focus of this role is oversight of the Citi Retail Services with focus across the P&L view of the business as well as any other responsibility assigned by the Consumer ORM Business Coverage lead. The role involves oversight of risks associated with sales and servicing of retail partner cards.
The other focus of this role will be oversight of Customer or Client Conduct Risk across GCB Consumer Managed Segment and will require close coordination with ORM colleagues in Asia and Mexico. Given the GCB-wide nature of this role for a specific operational risk, the individual will be expected to work with other consumer ORM teams responsible for coverage of other products in North America such as US Branded Cards, US Retail Bank and Mortgage. Prime interfaces for this role include:
- Consumer ORM Framework and Risk Cycle Management team for expertise in framework requirements, policies and procedures.
- Other Consumer ORM Business Coverage teams for North America to ensure consistent standards in oversight execution as well as transfer of lessons learnt.
- ORM Foundation team who leverage the Business ORM team for expertise and escalation of issues.
- ORM CAO, Governance, Audit and Regulatory Relations team to ensure effective business management and regulatory interactions.
- Franchise Risk Architecture Reporting team to support business risk profiling and reporting.
- NA Consumer 1st Line of Defense and Citi Business Operational Risk and Control (CBORC) organization.
Governance & Oversight
Risk Identification, Analysis & Assessment
- Develop strong working relationship with the business within scope to be a valued and respected partner
- Together with the Business coverage lead establish an appropriate engagement process with the Business to enable meaningful challenge and oversight and participate in risk management focused forums
- Assist Business Coverage lead / present relevant material as necessary at senior level governance forums such as Business Risk Reviews and Business Risk Compliance and Control Committees as well as for meetings with important stakeholders like the Regulators, 3rd Line of Defense and senior management.
- Ensure business adherence to operational risk policies
- Execute responsibilities articulated in the ORM Policy for independent operational risk managers including deep dives in to any significant current or emerging risk areas
- Ensure adherence to Consumer Op Risk procedures for independent Business coverage risk managers and for the Business. Assist in the continuous improvement of these procedures to strengthen 2nd line of defense oversight.
- Understand the linkages, and ensure Business is linking all tools in place for managing the operational risk management cycle and evidencing the feedback loop across MCA, KOR and KI process, Scenario Analysis and Loss Analysis results on a continuous basis.
- Escalate operational risk events within the Business and within ORM as appropriate with relevant context and risk assessment
The Operational Risk Manager leverages all the core tools that are part of the ORM framework viz., the Key Operational Risk Identification and Key Indicator monitoring process, Scenario Analysis, Manager's Control Assessment Challenge, Internal and External Loss Analysis as well as Risk Reviews to provide effective oversight. Risk identification, analysis and assessment of current and emerging issues also requires working with Specialists in other second lines of defense as relevant for individual risk types associated with the business or product.
- Identify trends, themes, tendencies that indicate emerging operational risks by relying on mining trends in relevant metrics (including MCA and IA data), loss data and external events. Effectively communicate learnings to Business in order to drive necessary responses and action.
- Proactively analyze various data sources to form an independent assessment/opinion of operational risk.
- Assist the Business coverage lead in developing and implementing the data mining and conceptual approaches necessary to establish robust leading indicators and metrics to identify areas of potential OR exposure and emerging risk to enhance loss anticipation and mitigation.
- Continuously monitor Key Operational Risks and related Key Indicators to ensure the Business is taking appropriate action to update them and respond to breaches.
- Participate in and lead Risk Reviews to proactively identify significant potential risks in the Business and develop specific recommendations for the Business to action.
- Identify changes in business strategy or relevant regulations that may lead to an increase in Op Risk
- Analyze losses in the Business to understand how losses were incurred, determine lessons learned, identify root causes and use in developing recommendations for risk mitigation
- Support and lead challenges of MCA entity ratings quarterly and of Annual Risk Assessments on a risk based frequency cycle.
- Support Scenario Analysis efforts, and track and oversee Business monitoring of triggers and action plans.
- Evaluate KOR/KI change proposals from the Business before approval by Business Coverage lead.
- Review ORM Policy / Consumer ORM Exception requests before approval by designated ORM approver.
- Assist in review of transactions proposed to the Consumer New Product Approval Committee (CPAC) as well as any other significant transactions, like the sale or purchase of a Business/Portfolio, outside the CPAC process. Monitor business fulfilment of ORM specified conditions in CPAC approval.
- Drive solutions to root causes that potentially can lead to op risk
- Develop actions or, as appropriate, projects to apply lessons learned and share across relevant geographies/managed segments.
- Work as an independent partner to mitigate risk and improve processes and controls before risks materialize into op losses.
- Evaluate control issues and ensure adequacy of Event Root Cause Analysis and corrective action plans.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree / Master's Degree in Business, Finance, Accountancy, Law, Science, or other relevant fields.
- Training/Certification or experience in database/MIS management tools a plus
- Work experience of 10+ years in the financial services industry in risk and controls assessment.
- In depth knowledge of Consumer NA businesses, products and the banking industry globally including major regulatory themes a plus.
- Leadership positions in Risk Management, Internal Audit, Compliance or related field a plus.
- Well versed in breaking down complex matters into core issues and root causes so they can be more readily addressed.
- Experience with CitiRisk and Controls and the Managers Control Framework a plus.
- Business or Risk experience in Credit Card, Retail Banking or Personal Wealth Management a plus.
Job Family Group:
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills.
- Independent thinker and able to perform a credible challenge of the Business.
- Ability to influence and convince without authority.
Risk Management Job Family:
Operational Risk Time Type:
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Citi") invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi
View the " EEO is the Law
" poster. View the EEO is the Law Supplement
View the EEO Policy Statement
View the Pay Transparency Posting