U.S. CBORC - Issues Management – Operational Risk Sr. Officer
U.S. Consumer Business Operational Risk and Controls (CBORC) - U.S. CBORC is responsible for protecting and fortifying the U.S. Consumer Bank's control environment by remediating and permanently solving open issues and ensuring business leaders comply with all laws and regulatory requirements. Our team identifies significant risks to business activities and actively contributes to the design and development of embedded controls that prevent both operational and reputational risk.
The Operational Risk Sr. Officer is a risk and control professional responsible for driving effective challenge and quality assurance throughout the end to end issue management process spanning the life cycle of an issue including: documentation, root cause analysis, control development, remediation planning and execution, status monitoring and reporting, and closure activities. These activities will be conducted in close partnership with the Issue Owners and Managers within the U.S. Consumer Bank. Excellent communication skills are required in order to negotiate internally, often at a senior level.
The role involves developed communication and diplomacy skills in order to guide, influence and convince others, in particular colleagues in other areas. Key Responsibilities:
- Operate independently as a Quality Assurance partner across the assigned U.S. Consumer Bank issue management teams, forming partnerships at all levels within U.S. Consumer Bank. Support the Compliance Business Control Sr. Group Mgr. in fostering a strong QA partnership with Business Function and Operations Sr. Function Group Management.
- Provide effective challenge throughout the issue lifecycle (documentation, root cause analysis, control development, remediation planning and execution, status monitoring and reporting, and closure activities).
- Assess control design and operational effectiveness and supporting documentation for accuracy and completeness.
- Provide assurance over the quality of U.S. Consumer Bank's work via formal work products (Hot Reviews and Tollgates).
- Provide day-to-day support to assigned U.S. Consumer Bank senior bank and risk management colleagues and issue management teams on development of effective corrective action plans, remediation approaches, timelines, compensating controls and documentation supporting work being performed.
- Be a change agent identifying innovation and automated solutions opportunities for issue resolutions.
- Facilitate the initial and ongoing communication, escalation, and resolution process through standardized communication routines and tools.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and meet strict deadlines, both internal and external (e.g., regulators).
- Significant interaction with a wide range of senior bank and risk management colleagues, as well as external stakeholders such as Issue Owners / Issue Managers / Compliance / Legal / Operational Risk Management / Internal Audit.
- Appropriately assess risk when business decisions are made, demonstrating particular consideration for the firm's reputation and safeguarding Citigroup, its clients and assets, by driving compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations, adhering to Policy, applying sound ethical judgment regarding personal behavior, conduct and business practices, and escalating, managing and reporting control issues with transparency.
- Support additional oversight and validation routines required by functions such as Internal Audit and Compliance.
- Ensure that all relevant issues are accurately tracked in the appropriate systems of record.
- Drive a holistic view of the issue to ensure impacts to other lines of business or functions are identified.
- Drive process best in class issue management through the identification and communication of areas for improvement in issue management.
- Assist with periodic ad-hoc projects (e.g., research and development of QA specific training).
- Work with partners to develop a culture that fosters self-identification of business issues.
- Support reporting and analytics for Issues Management.
- 10+ years relevant experience
- Related certifications (CPA, ACA, CFA, CIA, CISA or similar) preferred
- Should have excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office - particularly Excel (metrics and data analysis), PowerPoint (presentation decks), and Word (writing and editing procedural and technical documentation).
- Thorough knowledge of financial and risk reporting as well as experience from the business and/or technical area desired.
- Familiarity with regulatory and operational risk landscape facing global banks.
- Professional ability and presence to interact with Senior Bank, Compliance and Audit Management.
- Proven relationship management skills with ability to deepen relationships and build partnerships across the business, executive leadership and key functional support areas like Operational Risk Management, Communications, Legal, Compliance, Control, In-Business Risk and Independent Risk.
- Project management and governance experience with the proven ability to develop project plans and drive a diverse group of stakeholders to identify and achieve milestones within deadlines.
- Superior organizational skills, with proven ability to successfully manage multiple, concurrent priorities.
- Strong judgment and critical thinking skills.
- Self-motivated with a passion for establishing and maintaining a culture of control within the business.
- Demonstrated ability to influence a group of diverse stakeholders and drive accountability and ownership with key business partners and process owners.
- Detail oriented, with proven ability to question and identify opportunities within existing processes and business practices by leveraging previous experiences and knowledge of the business.
- Deep functional knowledge of the Credit Cards and/or Retail Banking industries and applicable rules, regulations, and processes.
- Pragmatic problem-solver, forward thinker with independence of thought.
- Consistently demonstrates clear and concise written and verbal communication
Job Family Group:
- Bachelor's/University degree, Master's degree preferred
Risk Management Job Family:
Operational Risk Time Type:
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Citi") invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi
View the " EEO is the Law
" poster. View the EEO is the Law Supplement
View the EEO Policy Statement
View the Pay Transparency Posting