Associate - Global Trade Surveillance and Forensic Testing
Description About this role Legal and Compliance Overview:
BlackRock's Legal and Compliance Department protects BlackRock's reputation and provides advice to and oversight and monitoring of, BlackRock's business. The department is focused on both understanding and advising on the impact of regulation in our business and on challenging, overseeing and monitoring business activities with the objective of:
Business Unit Overview and Responsibilities Global Trade Surveillance and Forensic Testing:
- Actively participating in business decisions to champion our clients' interests and assist the business in translating compliance requirements and expectations into their daily work;
- Putting client interests at the center of everything we do;
- Ensuring adherence to applicable laws and regulations;
- Cultivating and enhancing the strong compliance culture within BlackRock;
- Providing thought leadership on the impact and implementation of regulatory change;
- Fostering excellence within the Compliance team; and
- Actively developing, the skills knowledge and careers of each member of the Compliance team
The Global Trade Surveillance and Forensic Testing team is responsible for maintaining, developing, and conducting post trade surveillance. The Global Surveillance team works in close collaboration with BlackRock's technology development teams in the ongoing development of the program as well as in the delivery of the Global Surveillance program.
This role is focused on the second line of defense Regulatory Compliance monitoring of the portfolio management and trading functions within BlackRock. The successful candidate will be part of a team that reviews and investigates relevant alerts. The successful candidate will use an online automated workflow tool, support surveillance test development, and leverage sophisticated Global forensic testing capabilities to conduct routine ongoing trade surveillance.
The role will require the successful candidate to build and maintain relationships across a broad range of business functions including Portfolio Management, Trading, Legal, Compliance Advisory and Technology teams.
Trade Surveillance is conducted across a variety of asset classes, including equities, fixed income, foreign exchange and derivatives; within the context of the scale and nature of BlackRock's business, this role will offer unparalleled opportunities to learn about the products, strategies and business areas responsible for trading and making investment decisions. Key Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Experience and Education Requirements
- Ongoing Trade Surveillance of Portfolio Management and Trading functions including querying Trade Surveillance exceptions with the Portfolio Management and Trading functions;
- Working with an online automated work-flow tool for investigating trade surveillance exceptions and documenting appropriate dispositions in a timely manner;
- Ongoing forensic compliance testing, leveraging complex data analytics, trend monitoring, and statistical analysis to identify and investigate potential compliance issues;
- Interpretation of Regulatory Risk and application of this understanding to surveillance exceptions and to the ongoing iterative development of surveillance tests;
- Working within a wider global team to support the surveillance function;
- Participating in the development of new Trade Surveillance tests, including regulatory interpretation, technical specifications and testing;
- Development and maintenance of procedures related to Transaction Surveillance;
- Appropriate escalation and tracking of issues as they are identified;
- Maintenance of appropriate records of work completed in accordance with procedure; and
- Ad hoc projects related to Trade Surveillance and the broader Compliance function.
- 2-5 years' work experience - working within an asset management or investment banking environment a plus
- Knowledge of the markets, trading, asset classes and products
- General Compliance experience a plus
- Experience owning and delivering projects
- University degree or other equivalent professional qualification
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong technology skills including confidence in the use of Word, Excel and PPT applications
- Ability to work in and enjoy a fast paced and challenging working environment
- High standard of accuracy and excellent attention to detail
- An interest in and awareness of the regulatory landscape
- Ability to clarify tasks and requirements, organize time, and manage workload to ensure deadlines are met
- Committed to thinking and acting with integrity and honesty
- Curiosity and eagerness to learn about new topics, processes and to understand the larger picture
- Experience with data analysis software or statistical programming tools such as R, Python and Tableau is a plus;
- Experience with trade surveillance systems (e.g., Charles River or NICE Actimize) would be valuable)
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.