Lead Systems Engineer
- Chicago, IL, USA Chicago IL US
- Permanent, Full time
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- 08 Aug 18 2018-08-08
The Lead Systems Engineer designs, plans and supports, in collaboration with peers and technical specialists, systems that provide monitoring. Must have strong knowledge of application configuration, SPLUNK, Linux and Windows, and networking technologies
CME Group: Where Futures Are Made
CME Group (www.cmegroup.com) is the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace. But who we are goes deeper than that. Here, you can impact markets worldwide. Transform industries. And build a career shaping tomorrow. We invest in your success and you own it, all while working alongside a team of leading experts who inspire you in ways big and small. Joining our company gives you the opportunity to make a difference in global financial markets every day, whether you work on our industry-leading technology and risk management services, our benchmark products or in a corporate services area that helps us serve our customers better. With 2,500 employees located around the world, we're small enough for you and your contributions to be known. But big enough for your ideas to make an impact. The pace is dynamic, the work is unlike any other firm in the business, and the possibilities are endless. Problem solvers, difference makers, trailblazers. Those are our people. And we're looking for more.
The Lead Systems Engineer designs, plans and supports, in collaboration with peers and technical specialists, systems that provide monitoring, visibility and management of network infrastructure, applications and systems at CMEG. This includes status, health, performance and capacity planning to avoid problems with system reliability and throughput. Must have strong knowledge of application deployment/configuration, Linux and Windows, and networking technologies experience to assist with support initiatives and to maintain and improve stability and reliability of execution environments.
- Provides guidance on the architectural direction of the Splunk application suite across the enterprise.
- Administers Splunk to ensure maximum availability and performance while adopting upgrades and project initiatives.
- Assists end-users with Splunk topics ranging from beginner searches to advanced dashboards and alerting.
- Summarizes project and support efforts in clear, concise status updates.
- Through analysis, design and development, automates manual processes.
- Learns quickly and works independently in a dynamic environment.
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Has ability to prioritize and work on several independent tasks.
- Has outstanding troubleshooting capabilities.
- Education: A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or other related discipline is required; or equivalent combination of education and relevant proven work experience that is required for the specific job level.
- Work experience: Typically 5+ years experience in system administration/software development. Financial services industry experience preferred.
- Experience administering Splunk in an enterprise environment.
- Unix/Linux experience.
- Scripting (Shell, Python, Perl, etc.) experience.
- Applied knowledge of version control tools such as Git, Subversion, etc.
- Big data experience.
- Familiarity with the need and design of low-latency architecture (software and hardware).
- Collection and representation (UI) of application and system performance metrics.
- Middleware (Tibco/WebSphere MQ).
- Working knowledge of the Atlassian suite (JIRA, etc.).