Associate Portfolio Manager Chicago, IL, USA/en-US/External/job/Chicago-IL-USA/Portfolio-Manager_R200012403/apply
111 W Monroe - 115 S LaSalle
Job Family Group:
Manages, evaluates and monitors market investments (e.g., stocks, bonds, private markets, and/or cash) on behalf of clients, who may be individual investors, institutional investors, or the overall organization, in accordance with the investment objectives and parameters defined by these clients. Optimizes investment performance consistent with clients' investment objectives and risk profiles. May include (1) buying and selling individual securities and/or physical assets; and/or (2) allocating assets to third-party managers depending upon the investment approach. Provides input into strategic decision making. Maintains client contact for assigned relationships and presents results. Supports new product and business development.
- Works with more senior staff when dealing with complex issues, projects, analyses, or internal relationships.
- Typically, the first position level with ongoing external contact.
- Completes assigned deliverables with little day-to-day management.
- Manages, evaluates and monitors performance of the designated portfolio in alignment with investment objectives and client parameters based on the designated portfolio management discipline (e.g., equity, fixed income, quantitative, etc.).
- Develops investment strategies to meet objectives and constructs and maintains portfolio within client investment guidelines, achieving appropriate diversification.
- Assists in the construction of models in order to ensure the necessary investment characteristics are within client needs and investment mandates.
- Executes various portfolio management requirements including, but not limited to: trading and execution, regular economic commentaries, corporate actions, rebalancing, asset allocation, risk management, idea generation and product engineering, and interacting with market participants.
- Contributes to business development in client and industry facing activities and events.
- Monitors domestic & international economic and political trends for potential impact on the fundamentals and performance of the capital markets and strategies.
- Breaks down strategic problems, and analyses data and information to provide insights and recommendations.
- Conducts research to support portfolio management activities.
- Maintains the highest fiduciary duty when representing and acting in our clients interests.
- Continuously identifies, monitors and manages potential risks within our business and processes.
- Discusses process, portfolio construction risk management and issuer selection with existing and potential clients as circumstances require.
- Provides written and oral reports to clients on performance of account, the market, and performance of individual securities/portfolios.
- Assists with new business opportunities; delivers presentations and effectively acquires or develops new business with potential clients or external parties.
- Ensures controls are in place and are being followed.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders. Ensures alignment between stakeholders.
- Focus is primarily on business/group within BMO; may have broader, enterprise-wide focus.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works independently on a range of complex tasks, which may include unique situations.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically between 5 - 6 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Established track record of providing strong investment performance and effective risk management.
- Completion of relevant investments certification.
- Experienced understanding of business line and a basic understanding of the overall firm.
- Experienced understanding of specialized discipline.
- Technical proficiency gained through education and/or business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills - In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth.
- Influence skills - In-depth.
- Data driven decision making - In-depth.
Were here to help
At BMO Harris Bank we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO Harris Bank team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one for yourself and our customers. Well support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, well help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at
BMO Harris Bank is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each others differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. BMO Harris Bank N.A. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Posted TodayFull timeR200012403 BMO Financial Group
Serving customers for 200 years and counting, BMO is a highly diversified financial services provider the 8th largest bank, by assets, in North America. With total assets of $728 billion as of October 31, 2018, and a team of diverse and highly engaged employees, BMO provides a broad range of personal and commercial banking, wealth management and investment banking products and services to more than 12 million customers and conducts business through three operating groups: Personal and Commercial Banking, BMO Wealth Management and BMO Capital Markets.
We serve Canadian clients through BMO Bank of Montreal®, our personal and commercial banking business, BMO Nesbitt Burns®*, one of Canada's leading wealth management firms, and BMO Capital Markets, our North American investment and corporate banking division.
In the United States, clients are served through BMO Harris Bank, a major U.S. Midwest personal and commercial bank, and BMO Private Bank, with wealth management offices across the United States, as well as BMO Capital Markets, our North American investment and corporate banking division.
We help our customers make money make sense by delivering the broadest range of financial services through a single point of contact. Our financial service professionals provide access to any services our customers require across the entire enterprise.