Senior Regulatory Data Scientist
- Chicago, IL, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- 14 Nov 18
Senior Regulatory Data Scientist
CME Group: Where Futures Are Made
CME Group (www.cmegroup.com) is the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace. But who we are goes deeper than that. Here, you can impact markets worldwide. Transform industries. And build a career shaping tomorrow. We invest in your success and you own it, all while working alongside a team of leading experts who inspire you in ways big and small. Joining our company gives you the opportunity to make a difference in global financial markets every day, whether you work on our industry-leading technology and risk management services, our benchmark products or in a corporate services area that helps us serve our customers better. With 2,500 employees located around the world, we're small enough for you and your contributions to be known. But big enough for your ideas to make an impact. The pace is dynamic, the work is unlike any other firm in the business, and the possibilities are endless. Problem solvers, difference makers, trailblazers. Those are our people. And we're looking for more.
The Senior Regulatory Data Scientist serves as a dedicated data analyst working on new and ongoing data analysis initiatives within the Market Regulation department. The candidate will be responsible for analyzing order, trade, position, and case data from Market Regulation's data warehouses and developing working solutions to augment and extend the department's analytical capabilities. The Senior Regulatory Data Scientist plays an important role in all phases of Market Regulation's system development and will assist in the design and specification of new regulatory data analysis solutions. The candidate will be expected to become a subject matter expert with regard to trading, regulatory data, and the application of analytical concepts and visualizations for the purposes of identifying order messaging and trading patterns and ensuring regulatory systems provide effective and efficient data analysis tools.
• Analyzing complex business and data analysis issues, identifying and proposing effective solutions and developing new, creative analytical methods and processes to mine Market Regulation's regulatory data warehouses.
• Developing bespoke regulatory data analysis reports and functioning analytical solutions based on staff requests using a combination of complex SQL, Tableau, and technologies such as Python, R, and Q.
• Working closely with business users to elicit, define, and document detailed business requirements and data analysis specifications that fully capture business processes and accurately define required functionality.
• Performing thorough functional testing of regulatory applications to ensure the implementation of accurate and defect free applications and algorithms that adhere to the defined requirements.
• Facilitating effective communication across all levels within the Market Regulation department and throughout the organization with regard to regulatory system's functionality and data.
• Providing necessary post-implementation support and training to department staff for IT projects and analytical tools.
• Creating and implementing new data visualizations using Tableau.
• Managing multiple concurrent analysis efforts with business and IT teams to ensure on-time delivery of regulatory systems and initiatives.
• Applying and supporting vendor applications and proprietary tools used by department staff to ensure data is complete and accurate and users are able to maximize the utility and functionality provided by these systems.
• Establishing constructive relationships with the IT development team to ensure deep understanding of functional requirements and business processes that affect coding and data modelling decisions.
• Master's degree in computer science, mathematics, data analytics, statistics, informatics, economics, or similar concentration required.
• Programming experience and a strong understanding of SQL and database concepts.
• At least two-years of experience in data science, data analytics, or a related field.
• Demonstrable experience with programming languages, such as R, Python, Perl, or Q.
• Experience with cloud and big data technologies, such as Hadoop, Hive, and Spark.
• Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to quickly learn, understand, and apply business and technology concepts.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Microsoft Excel.
• Ability to work with individuals at all levels both within and outside the organization.
Preferred candidates would also demonstrate the following skills or knowledge sets:
• Knowledge of derivatives, trading, clearing, and regulatory compliance.
• Strong understanding of the application of machine learning, model building, and statistical analysis.
• Exposure to Agile, CRISP-DM, and/or traditional software development methodologies along with an understanding of the roles of business analysis, system development, quality assurance, and project management.
• Experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau.
• Excellent customer service and outstanding communication and interpersonal skills