William Blair is a premier global boutique with expertise in investment banking, investment management, and private wealth management. We are committed to building enduring relationships with our clients and providing expertise and solutions to meet their evolving needs. An independent and employee-owned firm, William Blair is headquartered in Chicago and, together with its strategic partners, operates in more than 20 offices worldwide.
William Blair’s buy-side domestic research team is responsible for identifying quality growth companies that will generate above-average results for clients over time with generally less risk than the market. The team identifies these companies through a combination of rigorous fundamental research and systematic inputs, following a disciplined process that emphasizes team collaboration.
The qualified candidate will support the U.S. Growth team in extensive and more substantive environmental, social and governance (ESG) integration into the research process and supporting engagement efforts across portfolios. In addition, this individual will be responsible for supporting the U.S. Sustainability strategy.
- Work alongside U.S. Research Analysts to help them understand critical ESG topics. This could entail both doing “deep dives” into specific topics that can be leveraged across multiple analysts, as well as taking a particularly important topic for a given company and doing a thorough analytical review of the issue.
- Enable better decision-making and reporting by leading efforts to standardize and centralize data collection, enabling comparability across analysts, industries and sectors. Showcase ESG vendor data available to Research Analysts and Research Associates. Be the expert at leveraging ESG data in a bottom up research process.
- Support all engagement initiatives, including maintenance of our engagement records, background research on the critical issues before a specific engagement, and assist with tracking progress post engagements.
- Work with the U.S. Sustainability Portfolio Manager to support the execution, communication, effectiveness and authenticity of the strategy including:
- maintaining all quantitative processes/data in support of the strategy and optimizing the strategy’s use of available 3rd party data resources.
- working with Research Analysts and Research Associates in developing and tracking each company’s “sustainability thesis”.
- doing occasional rigorous research on important thematic topics that might complement fundamental bottom up research, benefit the strategic positioning of the portfolio, and aid in the marketing of the strategy.
- Assist in efforts related to PRI and governmental disclosure requirements, such as those introduced by the new EU taxonomy for sustainable finance; liaise with Investment Management’s Director of Sustainable Investing to ensure coordination with broader efforts in this regard.
- Create content that is important in client communications and marketing efforts: author blog posts, quarterly commentaries and other thought pieces (in conjunction with product specialists) related to sustainability portfolios and practices.
- Engage in fundamental research for new ideas.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in environmental engineering or ecology; MBA with a specialization in sustainable finance a plus.
- 5-6 years of experience working for an ESG ratings organization, an ESG focused investment firm, a sustainability focused non-profit or potentially working in a corporate sustainability role.
- Strong working knowledge of accounting and finance.
- Background in fundamental equity research is preferred.
- Excellent quantitative reasoning, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Detail oriented and able to prioritize tasks.
- Able to exercise independent thought and judgment and adapt to new tasks with little notice.
- Responds to requests in a timely manner.
- Delivers clear, effective communication and commits to understanding others.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.