Sr. Underwriter US IL - Chicago/en-US/Argo/job/US-IL---Chicago/Sr-Underwriter_R0002680/apply
JOB TITLE: Underwriter Sr.
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
REPORTS TO: VP, Underwriting
JOB PURPOSE: We are seeking a Senior Underwriter for the office in Chicago, IL to help build our Casualty business.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To underwrite new business and renewals according to authority level and established guidelines, participate in special projects, and provide mentoring for less experienced staff.
- Review large and highly complex policies to verify acceptability based upon company underwriting guidelines and granted underwriting authority.
- Determine whether to accept, modify, or decline risks.
- Oversee and approve endorsements as indicated.
- Resolve premium audit disputes within assigned territory.
- Utilize underwriting tools to determine accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges.
- Review state laws, including cancellation and non-renewal, within assigned territory to properly transact business within the state.
- Consult with general agents/brokers to obtain further information, quote rates, or explain underwriting guidelines.
- Create, analyze, and interpret data from various reports.
- Manage assigned underwriting territory, including management of agents and travel to agent offices.
- Mentor less experienced team members.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree from an accredited university or seven to ten years related insurance experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrates an understanding and ability to effectively engage in the negotiation process.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Previous insurance educational work, IIA and CPCU designation strongly preferred.
- Detail oriented with initiative and the ability to work independently in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to travel.
- Advanced knowledge of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
In addition, you will share in those core values which are key to our success; having courage to do the right thing, inspiration/innovation/creativity, harnessing the potential of all individuals and sharing a commitment to excellence.
What will we provide to you?
- An opportunity to be your best and work with talented and inventive professionals at a Company Forbes magazine named to its list of Americas 50 Most Trustworthy Financial Companies for the last two years and that A.M. Best has rated an A (Excellent) for 13 consecutive years.
- An attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- Base pay and profit sharing.
- Comprehensive benefits designed to protect and enhance your life and your dependents lives by way of health and wellness plans, life insurance, a matching 401(k) Plan, generous PTO and an opportunity to become a shareholder at a 15% discount.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that helps us focus on continuous learning and which, by the way, got us named in Training magazine as one of the 2017 Training Top 125 Companies!
- Opportunities to support your local community though various outreach programs or by matching your gift to charitable causes by 150%.
- An Employee Referral program, that resulted in 30% of all new hires last year.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Applicants: For the most convenient application experience, please use the Apply with LinkedIn button. If manually entering, only include your most recent or relevant job information needed for this role. For either method, please attach your most current resume. Additional job history may be obtained if selected for the interview process.
Posted YesterdayFull timeR0002680
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is an international underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in areas of the property and casualty market. Through its operating subsidiaries, Argo Group offers a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of its clients in four business segments.
- Excess & Surplus focuses on risks that the standard (admitted) market is unwilling or unable to underwrite because of the nature of their businesses, their particular risk exposures or their loss histories.
- Commercial Specialty provides standard-market property and casualty insurance and surety coverage to highly specialized commercial and public entities.
- International Specialty writes both insurance and reinsurance business worldwide through the broker market, with offerings including specialty property catastrophe reinsurance along with excess casualty and professional insurance.
- Syndicate 1200 operates through a Lloyds of London syndicate offering property and liability coverage.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. is headquartered in Bermuda.