LPL Underwriting Manager US IL - Chicago/en-US/Argo/job/US-IL---Chicago/LPL-Underwriting-Manager_R0002687/apply
Argo Group, through its operating subsidiaries, offers high-quality Management Liability and Professional Liability products and services tailored to the needs of businesses and public entities. At Argo Group, we leverage the success, discipline and expertise of our people and an understanding of our customers needs to provide a diverse portfolio of products and services through Argo Pro. This approach helps those we insure drive down their ultimate cost through prevention and aggressive claims handling. Simply stated, our products and services help keep businesses in business.
We are looking for a highly capable Underwriting Manager to join our team and work from our Chicago (IL), New York (NY) or Hamilton Township (NJ) office. This is a production underwriting position responsible for marketing, underwriting and processing of Lawyers Professional Liability lines of business.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the role are:
- Actively participate in the achievement of monthly and annual profitability and production goals and objectives for LPL lines of business.
- Oversee/underwrite new and renewal books of business.
- Work with agency partners for production and profitability.
- Liaison with other departments to resolve issues and create business efficiencies.
- Participate in strategic and tactical planning.
- Act as a resource for LPL Underwriting team.
- Participate in the recruitment and selection process as needed to ensure the organization has the necessary talent to accomplish business goals
- Travel to meet with brokers and underwriting team as needed.
- This position is responsible for hiring and directing the day-to-day activities of the underwriting staff
- Provide leadership and advice to division staff in regard to underwriting risks.
- Conduct Development Reviews and engage direct reports in developmental and skill building opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Core qualifications and requirements for this position include:
- Bachelors degree from an accredited university and at least ten years related insurance experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Supervisory experience is preferred.
- Clear understanding of the Professional Lines marketplace.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent working rapport with brokerage community.
- Advanced working knowledge of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated strong negotiation skills, achieving favorable outcomes in win/win negotiations.
- A strong focus on execution in getting things done right. We are looking for people with a proven ability to consistently produce and deliver expected results.
- Flexibility and the ability to thrive in change are important to be successful here.
- Excellent ability to collect, gather, manipulate and analyze information in detail to draw conclusions on how to underwrite an account profitably.
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time.
In addition, youll want to make sure you embody our core values as they are how we get the job done:
The entrepreneurial spirit
Doing the right thing
Respecting each other
We offer our employees:
- An attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- Base pay and profit sharing.
- Comprehensive benefits designed to protect and enhance your life and your dependents lives by way of health and wellness plans, life insurance, a matching 401(k) Plan, generous PTO, Paid Caregiver Leave, Paid Parental Leave (up to 12 weeks) and an opportunity to become a shareholder at a 15% discount.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that helps us focus on continuous learning which is why Training magazine named us as one of the Training Top 125 Companies.
- Opportunities to support your local community though various outreach programs or by matching your gift to charitable causes by 150%.
- A lucrative Employee Referral program that resulted in 30% of all new hires last year.
- Flexible Work Arrangements that include Compressed Hours, Flextime, Job-Sharing, Part-Time and Remote or Home Working, Sabbatical Leave and Summer Hours.
About Argo Group
- We have a very flat organizational structure, enabling our employees have more interaction with our senior management team, especially when it relates to reviewing large losses.
- We believe in building an inclusive and diverse team, and we strive to make our office a welcoming space for everyone. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds to apply.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Applicants: For the most convenient application experience, please use the Apply with LinkedIn button. If manually entering, only include your most recent or relevant job information needed for this role. For either method, please attach your most current resume. Additional job history may be obtained if selected for the interview process.
Posted TodayFull timeR0002687
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is an international underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in areas of the property and casualty market. Through its operating subsidiaries, Argo Group offers a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of its clients in four business segments.
- Excess & Surplus focuses on risks that the standard (admitted) market is unwilling or unable to underwrite because of the nature of their businesses, their particular risk exposures or their loss histories.
- Commercial Specialty provides standard-market property and casualty insurance and surety coverage to highly specialized commercial and public entities.
- International Specialty writes both insurance and reinsurance business worldwide through the broker market, with offerings including specialty property catastrophe reinsurance along with excess casualty and professional insurance.
- Syndicate 1200 operates through a Lloyds of London syndicate offering property and liability coverage.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. is headquartered in Bermuda.