Accounting Policy & Risk - Senior Specialist
Whether you're an investment professional, an expert in sales or a technology specialist, you'll find a culture at MFS that supports you in doing what you do best. Our employees work together to reach better outcomes, always favoring the strongest idea over the strongest individual. We put people first and show care and compassion for our community and each other. Because what we do matters - to us as valued professionals and to the millions of people and institutions who rely on us to help them build more secure and prosperous futures. Job Description
The position will function as a key member of Corporate Finance overseeing the application of technical accounting conclusions and policies, and assisting in the annual financial audit and financial statements.
Major activities and responsibilities include:
- Ensuring the Company's compliance with generally accepted accounting standards ("GAAP") under U.S. GAAP and Internal Financial Reporting Standards ("IFRS"), including the adoption of new accounting standards.
- Coordinates and monitors risks and internal controls for finance, including the Sarbanes-Oxley 404 process for MFS and its subsidiaries.
- Assists with the coordination of the annual audits of MFS and its subsidiaries and the preparation of annual financial statements in accordance with GAAP and IFRS.
- Researches technical accounting issues and updates the corporate accounting policies, including drafting new corporate accounting policies, and advising accounting staff on the application and implementation of accounting standards. Acts as a resource for others in the department and Company to research accounting issues and literature.
- Recommends, implements and administers policies and procedures to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of operations and internal controls. Assists with the coordination and maintenance of process documentation and risk matrixes for all business units and processes overseen by Finance department. As required, analyzes and represents Finance in other operating and financial risk projects and requests.
- Assists in the implement of internal controls to ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and statutory requirements. Participates on initiatives to improve the monthly close process, budget and forecast processes, and to develop new financial systems applications and upgrades to financial systems applications, as applicable.
- Acts as the primary liaison with the external auditor to plan and coordinate the completion of the annual audits for MFS and its subsidiaries. Responsible for reviewing, preparing supporting information and drafting footnotes of external financial reports.
- Participates in the monthly consolidated close process inclusive of preparing and/or reviewing managerial, external financial and operational reports for MFS and its subsidiaries and supported business units.
- Bachelor's degree with six plus years of technical accounting/audit related experience. A CPA and/or an MBA are preferred.
- Excellent analytical, management and communication skills.
- Expertise in spreadsheet, database, and word processing applications, and experience in the design and implementation of financial applications.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
If any applicant is unable to complete an application or respond to a job opening because of a disability, please contact MFS at 617-954-5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
MFS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and it is our policy to not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. Employees and applicants of MFS will not be subject to harassment on the basis of their status. Additionally, retaliation, including intimidation, threats, or coercion, because an employee or applicant has objected to discrimination, engaged or may engage in filing a complaint, assisted in a review, investigation, or hearing or have otherwise sought to obtain their legal rights under any Federal, State, or local EEO law is prohibited. " Click here to view the 'EEO is the Law' poster and supplement ."