Associate Director, Risk Oversight, Multi-Asset and Alternatives
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 50 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
The Associate Director, Risk Oversight, Multi-Asset and Alternatives (Associate Director) position is part of the Global Risk and Analytics (GRA) team. GRA is the global investment risk function for Wellington and sits within the firm's Investment Science (iSci) department alongside four other key functions: Execution Research Analytics (XRA), Quantitative Investment Group (QIG), Investment Data Science (IDS) and Global Derivatives. The primary focus of GRA is leading Wellington Management's portfolio oversight, risk measurement, and security analytics processes across our broad multi-asset, hedge fund, equity, fixed income and research strategies. The Associate Director will work closely with the Director, Global Risk & Analytics as well as colleagues overseeing risk for equities and fixed income. She/he will work with Wellington's investment teams to help them use quantitative tools to inform their portfolio construction and investment processes.
The Associate Director will have a significant opportunity to influence the way Wellington invests in the multi-asset and alternative investment space. This position will be expected to lead an independent research agenda to develop best in class, differentiated and innovative perspectives on the quantitative aspects of these portfolios and their returns. She/he will lead risk consultations with investors and several oversight processes, conduct risk-related research, and promote risk management best practices across WMC's multi-asset and alternative strategies. The Associate Director will identify trends in risk-taking across our multi-asset and alternative strategies, actively contribute to oversight of multi-asset and alternative portfolios and be a key resource for insights on portfolio management teams. She/he will develop and execute the strategic direction of Wellington's multi-asset and alternative oversight capabilities and pioneer new analytics and research, coordinating these efforts with the entire Global Risk and Analytics team.
The Associate Director will be expected to establish collaborative working relationships with investment teams and all levels of management across functional groups at WMC, including: Investment Product & Fund Strategies, Portfolio Services and Information Technology. This position will work closely with a dedicated IT team that implements GRA's quantitative models for risk and portfolio construction. RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities for this position will include the following:
- Foster a culture of risk awareness by helping multi-asset and alternative portfolio management teams use formal quantitative risk techniques to inform their portfolio construction and risk management processes.
- Help investment teams achieve implement their investment views efficiently and achieve superior risk adjusted performance.
- Identify, research and highlight significant investment trends and major risks across our multi-asset and alternative investment platform.
- Participate in the development of new and differentiated analytics.
- Act as a coach and mentor for the analysts on the team, helping to define their goals and identify development opportunities.
- Contribute to the strategic vision of the Global Risk and Analytics team.
- Represent the Wellington investment risk function at due diligence meetings, seminars and research forums.
The Associate Director role entails extensive interaction with multi-asset and alternative portfolio managers and requires building strong collaborative relationships with multi-asset and alternative investment teams and line management. The successful candidate will establish credibility through technical skill and stature in risk management and create a shared vision of the benefits of risk-aware decision making. In addition to investment teams, the Associate Director will also frequently interact with senior management and product management. The candidate should possess analytical curiosity, strong organizational skills, passion for investing, be motivated by a team environment, and have the ability to learn about new analytical applications and investment products. QUALIFICATIONS
The Associate Director role requires significant experience managing risk analytics or quantitative research functions for an institutional investment manager or hedge fund and the proven ability to work effectively with portfolio management teams. Strong knowledge of multi-asset and alternative risk analytics is essential. In addition, the ideal candidate will have a strong analytical and systems background with an ability to learn new applications and create leading edge risk evaluation techniques. The individual should possess the ability to recognize broad investment trends, determine the risk implications beyond the individual portfolio level, and communicate the resulting risks across our various investment platforms.
Additional qualifications include:
- Ability to lead teams with a focus on providing strategic direction, mentorship and guidance, as well as cross-functional, multi-phase projects.
- Deep understanding of portfolio construction, risk analytics, and investments; a solid analytical foundation and domain expertise in multi-asset and alternatives risk measurement.
- Expert level understanding of empirical asset pricing theory and risk neutral asset pricing theory.
- 10+ years of experience in institutional asset management in a role relevant to the requirements of this position.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, prioritize effectively, meet deadlines and deliver high quality, accurate work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- While not a requirement, the ideal candidate will likely possess an advanced degree in a quantitative field (economics, mathematics, physical sciences, finance, or statistics).
- Professional designations such as CFA/CAIA/FRM are relevant though not required.
Associate Director, Risk Oversight, Multi-Asset and Alternatives JOB FAMILY
Investment Risk Services LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management considers all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .