This position is responsible for conducting original policy-relevant research in a field of specialization for professional publication, either generally or internally refereed, and in support of policy by providing commentary, analysis, and recommendations (which may include quantitative, statistical and/or mathematical or empirical analysis) on policy issues and on current economic and/or financial market developments, or in the area of expertise, for the President, Board of Directors, and Senior Management. This position is also responsible for communicating clearly and formally to the public on policy issues and economic or financial topics. Studies and contributes to advances in economic or financial theory, evidence, and research methods; and uses independent judgment to apply such advances to research, policy analysis and recommendations.
1. Support monetary policy decisions. Using empirical methods, economic, financial, statistical, mathematical or econometric models and personal judgment, analyze, forecast and report on developments in domestic and international financial markets and economies and provide policy advice within field of expertise to the President, Board of Directors, and Senior Management.
2. Engage in policy-relevant empirically-based research. Select topics, construct econometric or mathematical models when appropriate and apply professional tools in a manner expected to meet academic peer review standards and to provide an excellent standard of policy support for Senior Management.
3. Write articles for department publications. Where necessary, adapt current research to readership, expose theoretical and empirical issues involved, and generally choose topics based on own independent judgment.
4. Keep abreast of theoretical and empirical developments, and of recent national, regional or international economic and financial trends. Read appropriate professional literature and attend and present research at meetings, conferences and workshops held by the Bank and academic, business, and international organizations to hear, discuss and present current research. Help to organize workshops, the seminar series or our annual economic conference as requested. Serve as journal referee to evaluate others' work and advise colleagues on their research, publications, and policy analysis.
5. Communicate clearly with the public on monetary policy issues and the workings of the economy more broadly. Provide strong written communication and oral presentations to government, academic and business communities. Speak to non-professional audiences on areas of personal expertise and economic and financial developments and answer questions from the media and public.
6. Provide clear and excellent written communication and oral presentations to the President, the Board of Directors, Senior Management, internal staff and colleagues at other Reserve Banks.
7. Assist in staff recruitment. Review curriculum vitae (CVs) and dissertation abstracts, attend national meetings to conduct interviews, read and comment on candidate's working papers, and speak with references. Assist also in the recruiting of economic analysts, RAs, editors, administrators and administrative assistants when appropriate.
8. May analyze banking markets and activities in support of regulatory decisions and supervise and prepare Bank application casework.
9. May evaluate and comment on proposed regulatory or operational changes, depending upon areas of expertise. May work with senior management, the Board of Governors, and others in the Bank and Federal Reserve system to analyze and anticipate effects of various proposed regulations or operational developments.
Perform other duties as assigned.
This position is required to directly supervise one employee.
Knowledge and Experience
Knowledge and experience normally acquired through, or equivalent to, the completion of a Ph.D. degree in economics or finance and a minimum of 0-2 years of job-related experience.
Must have a demonstrated research capability.
Superb written and communication skills.
Undergraduate and graduate performance must be excellent.