Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours.
We are seeking to hire a Fixed Income Trader to execute orders from portfolio managers and analysts across our investment grade credit book of business; this includes cash and derivatives across the credit spectrum. This is an execution role, but there is significant opportunity and expectation to add value to client portfolios through collaboration with portfolio managers and analysts. The trader will be working collaboratively with our Fixed Income Trading credit teams, which are currently located in Boston and London.
Wellington Management's trading philosophy and practices are based on the principles of seeking best execution, contributing to portfolio alpha, and managing regulatory, operational, liquidity and investment risks. We seek to execute orders in a manner consistent with these principles and in accordance with our written policies, which emphasize the fair dissemination, aggregation and allocation of investment opportunities across our investment platform and ultimately our clients.
Wellington Management's Trading Department employs over 60 traders globally, including over 40 Fixed Income traders, and operates in specialized teams according to sectors and products. Our investment and trading activities are conducted on an industry-leading internally developed software platform, which we believe creates a meaningful competitive advantage. We are also supported by an in-house team of managers and quantitative and business analysts, who oversee the "business" of the department and provide in-depth, action-oriented insights into our trading capabilities and activities. ESSENTIAL SKILLS
The following essential skills are required for the role:
- Superior trade execution skills - The Trader will execute orders in a manner consistent with our best execution and risk management practices, as well as our policies and procedures. The ideal candidate will employ a mixture of both high- and low-touch execution methods for all relevant accounts undermanagement. In addition, the Trader will gather, analyze, and disseminate pertinent market, sector and instrument related information that identifies actionable investment opportunities. Over time, the successful candidate will develop an in-depth understanding of the various investment philosophies of our portfolio management teams in order to add to the investment dialogue of the team. Monitoring and improving efforts to enhance efficiency while mitigating risk is critical.
- Superior collaboration skills - The successful candidate will enjoy being an individual contributor within a highly collaborative team and embrace the benefits of overlapping lines of responsibility. The Trader will build strong trusting relationships externally with counterparties and other market participants as well as internally with portfolio managers, strategists, analysts, and other traders. Through their relationships, the ideal candidate will solicit potential trade interest from portfolio managers internally and locate external supply. The ability to take risk and challenge investment views is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and a desire to learn from others; the Trader must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) action-oriented opinions clearly and with conviction and contribute to an open investment dialogue is important.
- Growth mindset - The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving, and growing as a trader is required. The successful candidate will have a global perspective and creative approach for thinking about innovation and the evolution of credit-related investment products and market structures.
A successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience trading investment grade and/or high yield credit. Experience trading a wide array of instruments beyond credit would be additive;
- Strong academic credentials; a Bachelor's degree is required and MBA/CFA (or progress toward) would be additive;
- Ability to work quickly and accurately in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- Strong organizational and communication skills;
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail; a precision and risk management mindset that results in accurate and compliant work and manifests itself in double-checking work, stopping to question anything unusual, and frequent reconciliation of work throughout the day;
- Strong analytical skills and an ability to apply those skills in a highly practical fashion;
- An attitude and practice of proactive idea generation and continuous review and improvement of our processes;
- Impeccable integrity, fiduciary mindset, and ability to consistently place the interests of our clients as the number one priority;
- A pro-technology mindset and the ability to leverage technology to improve effectiveness and efficiency. Programming skills, while not required, would be additive; and
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in a collaborative, team-based, results-oriented environment.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? That's ok. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and welcome a chance to review your background. We are dedicated to building and maintaining a diversified workforce and considering a broad array of candidates with a variety of skill, workplace experiences, and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .