Independent Risk Analyst
Whether you're an investment professional, an expert in sales or a technology specialist, you'll find a culture at MFS that supports you in doing what you do best. Our employees work together to reach better outcomes, always favoring the strongest idea over the strongest individual. We put people first and show care and compassion for our community and each other. Because what we do matters - to us as valued professionals and to the millions of people and institutions who rely on us to help them build more secure and prosperous futures. Job Description BASIC PURPOSE:
The purpose of the Independent Risk Analyst is to support the Independent Risk Management Officer with the function of the independent risk management. This work includes monitoring the funds and separate accounts with respect to their defined risk profiles by e.g. monitoring (i) market risk through quantitative constraints using metrics such as value-at-risk and tracking error, (ii) the extent of derivative use and (iii) the overall liquidity of the accounts.
The role will also actively support the analysis and reporting of market and liquidity risks and derivative use to various internal committees and Boards of Directors. The analyst will support the day to day functioning of the Independent Risk Management Department by taking primary responsibility for managing data flows, running and preparing standard regular reports and analysis whether for our ongoing oversight mission or for informing/reporting to Senior Management and Board of Directors. PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Understand, monitor and report market risk exposures.
- Produce daily VaR and back-testing of the VaR, derived risk indicators (correlation, stress scenarios, etc.). Manage and perform the daily review and analyze VaR for equity, fixed income and multi class mutual funds using vendor software.
- Assist with analysis of market risks in the individual portfolios, prepare explanation of the VaR back testing results, daily limit monitoring and communicate results.
- Enhance VaR and stress testing methodologies. Calculate VaR and perform what-if analysis on an adhoc basis.
- Analyze the VaR reports, ensuring that they are being represented as expected and highlight any positions that are incorrectly modelled or causing unexpected contributions to the reported figures.
- Monitor the PnL for the various portfolios and ensure that the link can be made to the risk profile and the reported PnL; escalate any gaps.
- Participate in specifications, implementation and tests of systems.
- Review derivative process and be familiar with option and swap pricing.
- Validate vendor derivative pricing.
- Collaborate with other risk teams covering Equities, Fixed Income and Multi-Asset Class products.Provide analysis/risk reporting to support various Committees, Boards, and Senior Management.Analyze and interpret risk factor exposures for underlying funds.
- Bachelor's degree from tier accredited institution in Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Economics or related field preferred.
- Comfortable with risk math (volatility, correlation, covariance matrix, probability distributions).
- Experience with high-level programming language and knowledge of statistical modelling software (e.g., SAS, R, Matlab, Mathematica) is a plus.
- Minimum of 2 years of related experience in a financial services firm, with a strong understanding of finance and asset classes.
- Prior experience in risk management required. Expert in Excel, and building macros.
- Comfortable working in fast paced environment. Strong work ethic and integrity.
- Ability to transform complex investment and statistical concepts into executive - level material.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Well organized, high energy level/self-starter, must work well in team environment.
- Practical understanding of financial markets and products.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to build strong relationships across teams.
- As part of a broader team, integrate solution components developed by other team members.
- Expected to Pursue PRM, FRM and or CFA designations.
- Experience with market data providers such as Bloomberg or Factset or Point.
If any applicant is unable to complete an application or respond to a job opening because of a disability, please contact MFS at 617-954-5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
MFS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and it is our policy to not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. Employees and applicants of MFS will not be subject to harassment on the basis of their status. Additionally, retaliation, including intimidation, threats, or coercion, because an employee or applicant has objected to discrimination, engaged or may engage in filing a complaint, assisted in a review, investigation, or hearing or have otherwise sought to obtain their legal rights under any Federal, State, or local EEO law is prohibited. " Click here to view the 'EEO is the Law' poster and supplement ."