Macro Strategist, Emerging Markets Debt, Latin America
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
We are currently seeking to recruit an experienced Macro Strategist to join our Emerging Markets Debt (EMD) team to cover Latin America. Located in Boston or London, this individual will be primarily responsible for focusing on sovereign debt issuers, and for analyzing selected emerging markets. While specific country/region coverage will be determined as part of the interview process, we are looking for someone to cover issuers in Latin America. As an active member of the EMD team, the Macro Strategist will be fully integrated into the investment process and will be expected to provide investment recommendations on both external and local debt, while also communicating (in writing and verbally) with a broader group of fixed income and equity investment professionals across the firm. Consistent with the countries in the emerging markets universe, coverage will include both investment grade and below investment grade issuers.
The following essential skills are required for the role:
- Investment acumen and passion - The Macro Strategist will have a deep understanding of Latin America economies and a policy-driven mindset, to identify mispricing and valuation discrepancies, make investment recommendations, and communicate his/her findings to Portfolio Managers globally, who manage long-only and hedge fund portfolios on behalf of our clients. The ideal candidate must exhibit a fundamental, research oriented, top down and bottom up approach, supported by a strong investment philosophy and process. Furthermore, the Strategist will be able to implement those ideas through a highly analytical and detailed approach.
- Superior collaboration skills - The successful candidate will enjoy being an individual contributor within a highly collaborative team and embrace the benefits of overlapping lines of idea generation. The Macro Strategist will build strong trusting relationships internally with colleagues. The ability to take risk and challenge investment views is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and a desire to learn from others; the Strategist must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) action-oriented opinions clearly and with conviction and contribute to an open investment dialogue is important.
- Growth mindset - The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing as an investor is required. The successful candidate will have a global perspective and creative approach for thinking about innovation and the next generation of the investment industry and evolution of emerging markets.
A successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Strong academic background, ideally including a PhD or advanced degree in Economics;
- Minimum of five years relevant Emerging Markets research experience. This must include experience analyzing sovereign debt;
- Experience working within the Investment Management industry is ideal, although applicants from the Sell side will also be considered. Prior experience working for a multilateral agency or international financial institution (e.g., the IMF, World Bank, central bank) would be viewed favorably;
- Demonstrated understanding of investment concepts, e.g. relative value;
- Experience developing and implementing value added investment recommendations;
- Demonstrated ability to employ quantitative modeling and research skills to assist in economic and market analysis;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work well in a small, collaborative team, while also communicating and interacting with a broader group of investment professionals;
- Fluency in Spanish (Portuguese would be additive); and
- Ability and willingness to travel.
Macro Strategist, Emerging Markets Debt, Latin America LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .