Manager, Derivatives Technology
- Boston, MA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Wellington Management Company, LLP
- 21 Nov 17 2017-11-21
Manager, Derivatives Technology
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 50 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
Manager, DERIvatives technology
Tracing our roots to 1928, Wellington Management is one of the world's largest independent investment management firms. With US$1 trillion in assets under management as of June 30, 2017, we serve as a trusted adviser to institutional clients and mutual fund sponsors in over 55 countries. Our innovative investment solutions are built on the strength of proprietary, independent research and span nearly all segments of the global capital markets, including equity, fixed income, multi-asset, and alternative strategies. As a private partnership whose sole business is investment management, our long-term views and interests are aligned with those of our clients. We are committed to attracting a talented and diverse workforce, and to fostering an open, collaborative culture of inclusivity because we believe multiple perspectives lead to more informed investment and business decisions. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome people with diverse life experiences, fresh ideas, and specialized subject-matter expertise.
Responsibilities of the individual are multi-dimensional and include the management of clients, vision, delivery, staff and technology.
- Leverage the strength and success of the current team of analysts and developers to implement and sustain a "best in class" systems platform to enhance, maintain, and support the Wellington Derivatives Platform (front to back)
- Be responsible for the leadership of a team providing software applications by collaborating with a broad range of business and IT teams to implement solutions to address complex business workflows for both OTC and Listed derivatives.
- Lead the entire software lifecycle development process including end-to-end systems analysis, functional design, UX design, testing and implementation and deployment of Derivatives software solutions to Wellington's production environment.
- Interface with senior members of user community in an iterative manner to understand and design solutions. The ability to articulate and present systems capabilities in business-outcome terms to business teams is a core competency of this role.
- Partner and coordinate efforts with business partners, software developers, database architects, and external software and data vendors both on and off shore
- Manage, coach and develop a team of analysts and engineers
- Facilitate identification of needs broadly shared across business units. Highlight potential high value add opportunities that might serve specific areas.
- Assist business governance structures in prioritizing these needs by providing cost-benefit insights.
- Scale and transform the current team to meet the challenges of globalization, investment product complexity and asset growth.
- Strengthen bench of individuals who combine strong investment and technology expertise. Facilitate the group's ability to remain current with industry trends.
- Establish a framework for leveraging the expertise and resources of external partners (partner investment firms, professional service / product / market data vendors)
- Identify high potential individuals and focus effort on developing them through training and stretch assignments.
- Establish a framework for scalable and repeatable delivery management
- Refine estimation, planning, development / integration, testing and deployment processes
- Establish timely and frequent two way communication with stakeholders
- Improve collaboration with other areas of the department
keys to the position
- Strong derivatives knowledge
- Strong software development knowledge with exposure to emerging technology trends
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Strategic thinker with a high attention to detail
- 10+ years of experience in delivering derivatives technology solutions in derivative, investment management or financial services software applications
- 5+ years systems experience with an enterprise solution for cross asset class front to back derivative processing such as Calypso, Murex or SunGuard
- Ability to manage a team of individuals to deliver best-in-breed technology solutions
- Ability to think, communicate and act strategically. Ability to back up strategic thinking with reliable delivery.
- Strong leadership and change management capabilities
- Strong understanding of capital markets, instruments and processes
- Broad understanding of current technologies with ability to review merits of proposed architectures and validity of effort estimates
- Demonstrated track record through the systems development lifecycle, with proven expertise in the analysis, delivery and support of major applications
- Experience with global delivery and support
- Keen intellect, strong communication skills and collaborative instincts
- Strong judgment and integrity
- Innovative, resourceful and risk tolerant
- Strong planning and project management skills
- Experience and success operating in an Agile development environment. Understanding of the Agile development methodology and iterative development
- B.S. or advanced degree in Computer Science, Business, Economics, Finance or related subject
- CFA or work towards one is a plus
Manager, Derivatives Technology
Systems Analysis-Front Office
100 Federal Street
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management considers all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at Wellington@icareerhelp.com .