Principal Design Strategist - Fidelity Labs
- Boston, MA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Fidelity Investments
- 18 Feb 18 2018-02-18
Principal Design Strategist - Fidelity Labs
Fidelity Labs is increasing its focus on incubating new businesses and has dedicated teams that work like start-ups within the organization. Using a combination of good old-fashioned ingenuity, and innovation methodologies such as Design Thinking and Lean Start-up, incubators take a customer-centric approach to problem solving, with a focus on rapid experimentation, and the permission to fail. Come check out what we have been up to: www.fidelitylabs.com .
Help lead one of the incubators at Fidelity Labs where teams rapidly move ideas from concepts to scale with the mission to bring user centered, iterative design to develop new services, products and tools that will drive growth for the firm.
For example, how might we help recent grads handle their student loan burden? How might we enable families to have important conversations around finances? How might we help young professionals start to develop an understanding for investment options long before they have enough to invest?
Do questions like these interest you? If so, and you are an experienced Design Strategist with a passion for human centered design, have an itch for helping teams build the right "it" before they build "it", are a high-energy self-starter, a great communicator, and a superb collaborator, then a career in Design Strategy at Fidelity Labs may be right for you!
The role is based in Boston, MA.
The Expertise We're Looking For
- 5 years experience in Design Research
- Experience and passion for creative disciplines (Visual Art, Film, Theater, Music)
- 10 years work experience helping people solve messy problems in the real world
- Bachelor's Degree in social sciences; Master's Degree in Design Research, Design Strategy or equivalent real world experience
- Positive, self-starter attitude
- Creative and inventive problem solving ability
The Purpose of Your Role
The Director of Design Strategy conducts user research, analyzes findings, and synthesizes insights. You will collaborate with your incubator team on business strategy and product design. Teams are multi-disciplinary and highly collaborative, so the Director Design Strategy must lead the team to the heart of customer problems, help build concept prototypes in minutes (not weeks), test ideas with real customers in meaningful ways, and teach others who have never seen anything like this to do the same. You will also be responsible for managing a few junior Design Strategists who will be on other incubator teams.
The Skills You Bring
- Conducting Customer Research/Fieldwork - As a researcher, you must be prepared to plan and lead fieldwork to discover insights first-hand. We are looking for people who can maintain a high degree of rigor throughout, but who also experiment in their approach and methodology.
- Connecting Insights to Design - The insights and information drawn from research must be translated into an inspirational and useful foundation for design. These insights should be translated through effective storytelling, presentations, journey maps, videos and other media. The Director Design Strategy would lead the team on criteria for the minimal viable design to test.
- Communicating ideas - Incubator teams are staffed with a mix of individuals from all backgrounds. The Director of Design Strategy needs to be confident and flexible as well as have experience working in interdisciplinary teams where harmonious collaboration is imperative.
The Value You Deliver
- True concern for users and desire to make the world a better place for them.
- Desire to be a leader & teacher in helping others achieve higher levels of innovation
- A love for ambiguous problems and the ability to capture a clear and concise design strategy
How Your Work Impacts the Organization
Coaching Human Centered Design: We draw methods and frameworks from Design Thnking and Lean Startup and business strategy to inpsire teams towards breakthrough ideas and spread a human centered mindset, firm-wide.
Collaborative Innovation: Over the past 5 years, Fidelity Labs has hosted TEDx-Boston, worked with other innovative companies like JetBlue, Nordstrom, and Microsoft to help them innovate on their toughest challenges. We've partnered with MIT, Stanford and other academic powerhouses to infuse the organization with new ways of thinking about our customer's problems.Company Overview
At Fidelity, we are focused on making our financial expertise broadly accessible and effective in helping people live the lives they want. We are a privately held company that places a high degree of value in creating and nurturing a work environment that attracts the best talent and reflects our commitment to our associates. For information about working at Fidelity, visit FidelityCareers.com
Fidelity Investments is an equal opportunity employer.