Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours.
As part of the continued expansion of our alternative capabilities, we seek to recruit a Sector Lead focused on FinTech to join our diversified Hadley Harbor, late-stage growth, investment team. Wellington launched its dedicated private equity business in 2014, and we currently manage approximately $5 billion in assets across six growth equity and venture funds. In addition to Hadley Harbor in which ~20% is allocated to financial services, the Sector Lead will also be a member of our Ithan Creak team, which invests in both public and private equities of financial services companies.
The Sector Lead will be responsible for building our investment pipeline, including thematic research-based outbound sourcing, as well as helping to develop our sourcing network by building relationships directly with co-investors, industry experts and private companies within the FinTech ecosystem. In addition to generating deal flow, the ideal candidate will conduct in-depth due diligence of select deals, develop investment recommendations, and manage portfolio positions and relationships. We expect this individual to leverage his or her insight and experience during the investment process, while working closely with others across our investment platform, including our Industry Research team. ESSENTIAL SKILLS
The following essential skills are required for the role:
- Investment acumen and passion - The Sector Lead will have a successful track record of leading investments in venture and/or growth stage companies, along with a deep understanding of the innovation occurring within the FinTech industry. The Sector Lead will also have functional expertise in some of the underlying subsectors within FinTech, including but not limited to banking, lending, payments, capital markets, infrastructure and select digital assets. The ideal candidate will be passionate about technology and have a keen understanding of its connection to the innovation occurring across the financial services sector. The ideal candidate will also have deep experience with financial markets and employ a fundamental, research oriented, bottom-up approach to investing in private companies and the ability to implement those ideas through a highly analytical and detailed approach.
- Superior collaboration skills - The successful candidate will enjoy being an individual contributor within a highly collaborative team and embrace the benefits of overlapping lines of idea generation. The Sector Lead will build strong trusting relationships externally with company management teams, industry contacts, clients and prospects as well as internally with colleagues. The ability to take risk and challenge investment views is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and a desire to learn from others; the Sector Lead must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) action-oriented opinions clearly and with conviction and contribute to an open investment dialogue is important.
- Growth mindset - The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing as an investor is required. The successful candidate will have a global perspective and creative approach for thinking about innovation and the evolution of the financial technology landscape.
A successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 7-10 years of relevant experience in a private markets investment role, including specific experience in venture/growth investing;
- Established industry relationships and network to source deal flow in relevant companies;
- Ability and track record of generating strong investment returns;
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and to collaborate with experienced, cross-functional deal teams;
- Strong bottom-up fundamental approach to research;
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail;
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in a collaborative, team-based, results-oriented environment;
- Independence of thought, intellectual curiosity, and an entrepreneurial nature; and
- Superior academic credentials: MBA preferred.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? That's ok. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and welcome a chance to review your background. We are dedicated to building and maintaining a diversified workforce and considering a broad array of candidates with a variety of skill, workplace experiences, and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .