Senior Staff Accountant
- Boston, MA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Choate, Hall & Stewart
- 21 Sep 17 2017-09-21
The Senior Accountant performs general ledger accounting duties for various Firm accounts. The duties for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the preparation of the annual expense budget; report on month-to-date actual to budget variances; distribute monthly expense reports.
- Assist in the review of general, recurring and reclassification entries into the general ledger.
- Maintain Fixed Asset software and prepare monthly depreciation journal entries.
- Process Escrow transactions including cash receipt and disbursement activities. Reconcile individual escrow accounts and work directly with attorneys on disposition of funds.
- Process American Express transactions through Chrome River and prepare monthly reports.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Assist in documentation and monitoring of internal controls.
- Assist with the equity accounting for partners, including the allocation of profit, salary, benefits and other expense items.
- Participate in special projects and provide departmental coverage as directed.
- Works proactively with others to coordinate activities within a department or function of the Firm.
- Organizes, prioritizes assignments, and serves as a department liaison to ensure collaborative efforts result in meeting or exceeding goals and standards.
- Motivates others to attain their highest levels of achievement, productivity, and work satisfaction.
- Maintains current knowledge of trends and developments affecting the area of specialization.
- Encourages innovative thinking and the exercise of sound judgment to achieve results.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- 3+ years of hands-on general ledger accounting experience.
- Strong overall technical aptitude with financial software products such as Elite along with superior Excel and all other MS Office Suite products.
- Advanced analytical skills and the ability to fully utilize tools such as Excel to compile and analyze data.
- Strong communication and presentation skills with the ability to present information in a variety of formats to higher levels of management in a confident and professional manner.
- Strong business acumen skills and the ability to work well in a team environment.
- Must have minimal physical mobility. Position may occasionally require standing, walking, reaching, and lifting up to 15 pounds.
- Must have the ability to operate equipment such as a computer and copy machine.
- Must have the ability to communicate clearly and to read and follow detailed instructions.
- Must have the ability to prepare assorted documents and other related materials.
- Must have the ability to work in stressful conditions under time deadlines.