- Boston, MA, USA Boston MA US
- Permanent, Full time
- Wellington Management Company, LLP
- 21 Sep 18 2018-09-21
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 50 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
The Senior Writer, Global Marketing, will play a key role in helping Wellington Management meet the growing demand for professional-quality investment content across a variety of business lines and market segments. This position will focus on developing content across all asset classes for institutional and intermediary channels. The position will contribute to the Editorial team's efforts to ensure consistency in the Wellington "voice" and editorial style.
This individual will be part of the Editorial team, which includes writers based in Boston and London, and report to the Content Director based in our Boston headquarters. Editorial is part of Wellington Management's Global Marketing team which is structured as an internal agency and includes teams dedicated to writing/editing, marketing strategy, design (electronic and print), project management, digital strategy, and events.
Global Marketing is in the midst of a digital transformation. While the core skills for this role (writing/editing, deep investment knowledge, effective relationship building, and project management) will not change, what will change are: 1) the technologies we use to management our workflow; 2) the need to parse content differently as we experiment with new ways of increasing engagement; 3) the need to engage with our colleagues in strategy, distribution, and optimization of content, even as we maintain our primary focus on content creation; and, 4) the way that we measure our impact. The goal is to not only increase our impact to the firm's top line growth, but also to make that impact more visible and tangible and to use data to inform our content agenda independent of the input we receive from client-facing teams and subject matter experts.
The Senior Writer engages across the content lifecycle (Plan, Create, Distribute, and Optimize) in the following ways:
- Partner with Content Strategists, Content Director, and subject matter experts to understand the content strategy for each piece with attention to aligning planned content with identified business priorities, identifying audience interest (what aspects of the story resonate with audience), and understanding content type and alignment with buyer journey.
- Partner with subject matter experts to write/edit original content across the following content types: portfolio design/asset allocation, macro and market insights, event-driven perspectives, investment opportunities and risks, and product support materials.
- Ensure that content:
- Is edited to highest professional standards, reflecting the firm's reputation as an investment manager and service provider of the highest quality.
- Helps our clients understand the issues they face and make better investment decisions by conveying our investors' ideas as clearly, concisely, and powerfully as possible.
- "Shows, rather than tells." Demonstrates our capabilities offering insights in areas of expertise rather than proclaiming that we are experts.
- Preserves each author's unique voice and expression, while adhering to effective communication principles (organization and hierarchy of ideas), standard grammar/usage rules, and preferences outlined in the Wellington Style Guide.
- Is differentiated. We agree that "provocative" and "non-consensus" are subjective descriptions, but we will seek to meet those standards. We do not "soften the edges" nor do we embellish ideas to gain readership.
- Is authored or vetted by investors or their proxies (investment directors); they are content owners.
- Partner with compliance to ensure that content conforms to firm marketing compliance guidelines.
- Partner with investors to ensure solid research methodology/intellectual honesty of our work and provide qualitative evaluation of pieces toward developing a hierarchy of content.
- Partner with design to ensure that images, figures (e.g., charts, graphs, schematics) and layout augment storytelling.
- Support additional functions of the Editorial team, including copyediting, proofreading, and project management.
- Works with Digital Content Strategist and Design as subject matter expert to iterate and/or tailor content as appropriate across all forms of storytelling including: short/long form narratives, social media posts, infographics, videos, and podcasts.
- Partners with Strategists to distribute content according to client or prospect interest (e.g., channel newsletters, email campaigns, iterative versions of core content across media types).
- Partners with Digital Content Strategist and Content Director to evaluate and respond to client engagement on topics (data gathered by the digital team), consider the optimal re-distribution of content to gain readership/increase impact, and inform our overall planning/content agenda on a going forward basis.
- BA/BS required; advanced degrees a plus.
- 10+ years of professional writing experience working for an asset management or other investment-related company, or an agency serving the investment industry. Some editing and proofreading experience.
- Exceptional writing/storytelling skills and demonstrated proficiency in writing for a variety of audiences with a particular focus on institutional investors as well as intermediaries and their clients.
- Strong understanding of investment concepts across equity, fixed, multi-asset, and alternative asset classes as well as capital market and macroeconomic trends.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of internal stakeholders and to convey credibility when working with investment professionals.
- Experience writing across media channels (e.g., print, email, web, social).
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management considers all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at Wellington@icareerhelp.com .