Balance Sheet Controller
- Baltimore, MD, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 16 Oct 18
Balance Sheet Controller
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
Background on the Team
The Global Capital and Balance Sheet Management (GCBM) team in Baltimore is responsible for preparing Balance Sheet and Risk Weighted Assets estimates, netting, as well as Credit Risk and other financial analysis for Morgan Stanley's Institutional Securities Group. The group liaises with GCBM New York, Global Product and Funding Controllers, Regulatory Controllers, Corporate Reporting, Corporate Treasury and Global Accounting Standards & Control. The primary clients are GCBM New York, Global Product and Funding Controllers and Corporate Reporting.
The Balance Sheet Controller will be responsible for balance sheet data and analysis as part of several quarterly regulatory and external reporting requirements. These analyses are intended to provide management and regulators with relevant information regarding the balance sheet and net risk positions. The individual is expected to be team driven, demonstrate flexibility and to deliver consistently under tight deadlines.
Specific key deliverables include:
- Understand the business, products and accounting dimensions of the firms' balance sheet
- Prepare due diligence analysis including commentaries explaining movements in balance sheet for Finance senior management and regulators.
- Participate in various initiatives including redesign of internal processes to improve the control framework, system enhancements, etc.
- Work with all relevant constituents to review and update Regulatory reporting policies and procedures
- Assistance in providing responses to any FRB inquiries, including post filing questions and FRB examination
- Participation in activities geared towards monitoring of internal control framework for Regulatory Reporting which includes management of issues and action plans reported
- Provide a point contact for control based queries.
- Other ad hoc duties.
- BS/BA in Accounting and 5+ years relevant Regulatory Reporting or closely related industry experience.
- Ability to interact and influence effectively at all levels of the organization
- Strong relationship management skills
- Control and Risk focus
- Proven ability to execute special projects and strategic initiatives; manage time effectively and meet tight deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and confidence to lead meetings
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership and accountability for tasks and people
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast pace environment
- Detail oriented and ability to adhere to strict timelines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (strong excel and database skills a plus)
- Accounting /Finance degree (with or without CPA), Public Accounting Experience a plus