Special Projects Tax Manager
- Kansas City, MO, USA Kansas City MO US
- Permanent, Full time
- Ryan Specialty Group
- 10 Jul 18 2018-07-10
This position reports to the Surplus Lines Tax Director. This position is responsible for maintaining and documenting the control structure for the Financial Reporting, Premium Accounting, and Surplus Lines Tax processes. A person in this role should be able to conduct process walkthroughs and turn them into process flows and documents to be utilized by a broad audience (auditors, management, etc). This position will assist in the completion of both internal and external audits to be reviewed by the Surplus Lines Tax Director.
Ryan Specialty Group (RSG) is an international specialty insurance organization that provides innovative solutions for brokers, agents and insurance carriers. The RSG family includes a wholesale brokerage operation, RT Specialty (RT), and a collection of managing general underwriting companies within RSG Underwriting Managers (RSGUM). RSG was founded by Mr. Patrick G. Ryan, the retired Chairman and CEO of Aon Corporation. A highly regarded insurance veteran, Mr. Ryan saw the need for a specialty organization devoted exclusively to creating sophisticated insurance and risk management solutions for a select group of hard-to-place risks. With its mission of delivering measurable value, RSG is committed to providing specialty insurance services, proven leadership, outstanding industry experience and quality services in all of our exchanges with retail agents and brokers, and insurance carriers worldwide.
RT Specialty, a division of Ryan Specialty Group is looking for a Special Project Tax Manager to join our Kansas City team. We are a fast paced, energetic and rapidly growing organization that offers a great opportunity for someone interested in further developing their career.
This position reports to the Surplus Lines Tax Director. This position is responsible for maintaining and documenting the control structure for the Financial Reporting, Premium Accounting, and Surplus Lines Tax processes. A person in this role should be able to conduct process walkthroughs and turn them into process flows and documents to be utilized by a broad audience (auditors, management, etc). This position will assist in the completion of both internal and external audits to be reviewed by the Surplus Lines Tax Director. Further, this role also acts as a liaison between the Surplus Lines Tax Director/Surplus Lines Tax Department and various internal and external departments (RSG Internal Audit, RSG Tax, RT Controllership, RSG Invoices and RSG Treasury) to ensure accuracy and satisfaction.
- Responsible for updating and documenting various Financial Reporting, Premium Accounting & Surplus Lines Tax processes/controls and also helping to identify process improvements.
- Responsible for maintaining and reporting various process flowcharts updates to the RT Controller, Surplus Lines Tax Director and the RSG Internal Audit department.
- Provide support and project work to the Surplus Lines Tax Director and upper management, as needed. This would include but is not limited to assisting with any/all Financial Reporting projects and performing any state and/or local tax regulation research as needed.
- Assist the Surplus Lines Director in documenting the creation and implementation of future filings/payment process and controls for other RSG entities.
- Preparation of RT’s Annual Consolidated 1099’s for review by Surplus Lines Tax Director and processing by RSG Invoicing and Tax Departments.
- Responsible for performing weekly TIN matches for RSG Compliance Department.
- Assist and manage the completion of any backlog filing and reconciliation projects. This project would be completed with the help of the Surplus Lines Tax Manager. After completion of this project, this position would also help to prevent any future payment reconciliation projects.
- Responsible for tracking and completion of external and internal surplus lines tax payment and filing audits. This task would also be completed with the help of the Surplus Lines Tax Manager.
- Manage the Surplus Lines Tax control framework implementation and perform routine audits to be reviewed by the Surplus Lines Tax Director.
- This position along with the Surplus Lines Tax Director would be the liaisons between the Surplus Lines Tax Department, RT Controllership, RSG Invoices, RSG Treasury and the RSG Tax Department.
- Responsible for maintaining, tracking and reporting the status of the surplus lines tax advances and advance report to the Surplus Lines Director.
- Reconcile and review the support saved for both the penalty and write off templates each month.
- Backup approver for any surplus lines tax payments.
- Manage, train and supervise the Surplus Lines Tax supervisors including professional development and schedule/workload management.
- Along with the Surplus Lines Tax Director and the Surplus Lines Tax Manager, the Special Projects Accounting Manager oversees the Surplus Lines department personnel, including hiring of any filers, and timely addressing of any performance issues.
- Ensure any Supervisor created payments to respective state regulatory entities are remitted timely and accurately in accordance with Company policies. This includes performing reconciliations of payment support to the open payables and/or state reports and providing real-time review before payments are approved.
- Review and approval of any Surplus Lines Tax supervisor write off requests in compliance with the Company write off policy and procedures.
* Bachelor’s Degree preferred in Accounting; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Certified Public Accountant (CPA) strongly preferred.
* Demonstrate ability to manage multiple priorities, deliver timely and accurate work products with customer service focus and respond with sense of urgency as required.
* Ability to apply a broad knowledge of accounting principles to a variety of accounting activities ranging from daily transactions to detailed analysis.
* Agency management system / insurance industry experience strongly desired.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills, sound decision making abilities and leadership capabilities.
* Focus on fostering an environment of teamwork, collaboration, and customer service.
* Ability to work additional hours as needed to meet individual, team, and department goals.
Ryan Specialty Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer