40 Act Associate General Counsel
- St Louis, MO, USA St Louis MO US
- Permanent, Full time
- Edward Jones
- 14 Mar 18 2018-03-14
This position will provide support to Edward Jones' investment management operations, including its proprietary mutual funds and its investment advisory programs. This position requires a depth of understanding of the Investment Company Act of 1940 and the Investment Advisors Act of 1940 in order to provide guidance, interpretation and legal analysis related to the firm's business.
- Prepare, review and/or coordinate mutual fund registration statements, proxy and information statements, shareholder reports, Forms ADV (including brochures relating to Edward Jones' investment advisory programs) and investment company and investment adviser marketing materials and communications. This includes collaborating with leaders and associates in other divisions to ensure appropriate reviews are completed both internally and with external legal counsel.
- Prepare for and conduct investment company board meetings and ensure necessary follow-up matters are completed.
- Manage the annual 15(c) investment advisory contract review process, including identifying and addressing all legal requirements, and assemble and review required reports and information.
- Consistently review, consider and recommend enhancements to the documents, and improvements to the processes used, to achieve greater clarity and to mitigate risk.
- Monitor and consider the implications of legal developments under the relevant Acts and prepare necessary summaries of material releases and proposals.
- Coordinate, review, negotiate and/or prepare contracts relating to the Edward Jones proprietary mutual fund and investment advisory program operations including vendor agreements, advisory, sub-advisory and selling agreements, M&A agreements and, to the extent necessary, agreements relating to portfolio management operations (e.g., ISDA agreements, MRAs, OTC derivatives, etc.).
- Prepare, review and/or coordinate requests for exemptive orders and no-action relief with respect to Edward Jones' proprietary mutual fund and investment advisory program operations.
- Provide legal support to Compliance Division, including providing legal advice to the chief compliance officers of Edward Jones' investment adviser subsidiaries and proprietary mutual funds, in connection with regulatory examinations and legal issues arising in the context of compliance monitoring and review under applicable compliance policies and procedures or written supervisory procedures.
- Requires J.D. and license to practice law in Missouri or an equivalent state.
- Requires a minimum of 8 years of progressive responsibility with direct experience in advising clients with respect to matters arising under the Investment Company Act of 1940 and the Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve complex matters.
- Sound judgment, decision making and conflict resolution skills.
- Commitment to a high level of ethics, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, resourceful, and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.