Big Data Solution Owner
- Charlotte, NC, USA
- Self Employed, Full time
- Brighthouse Financial, Inc.
- 16 Dec 18
Big Data Solution Owner
Job Location: Charlotte, NC
Brighthouse Financial is a new company established by MetLife. We're on a mission to help people achieve financial security. Built on a foundation of industry knowledge and experience, we specialize in offering essential annuity and life insurance products designed to help customers protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts more predictably. In an industry that often has a reputation for complexity, confusion, and cost, Brighthouse Financial is different. Our approach includes simplicity, transparency, and more value so customers can face the future with confidence.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking passionate, high-performing team members to help us carry out our mission and be part of an exciting journey toward improving the financial futures of our millions of customers. Sound like you? Read on.
Role Value Proposition:
The Data & Analytics have a mission to use big, alternative and directly sourced data to describe and predict key metrics of companies and economies so that we may deliver innovative data solutions and insights to our internal analyst teams and the firm's clients. We are looking for a Big Data Solution leader to join and grow our team. You must have a keen interest in financial markets and experience with big data analytics and engineering, including processing data at large scale for analytical purposes.
- Envision, communicate and lead the build out of a comprehensive, forward-looking big data analytics program and capability
- Represent and convey deep knowledge and experience with IT, data and analytics, and how all can be leveraged to support and safeguard the business
- Partner with peers in the various business lines who are launching related initiatives. Share ideas, best practices and successful approaches
- Provide vision, leadership, subject matter depth and execution strength to design and implement a big data analytics framework that will strengthen Brighthouse Financial's various Data Science and Analytics programs
- Serve as an evangelist for a robust data analytics platform, conveying this message and plan compellingly to senior leadership and control partners, and garnering support for the proposed course of action
- Leverage new and existing infrastructure to ingest legacy and current data from external partners and internal systems to enhance data science deliveries
- Mentor and develop data analytics staff. Provide guidance, training, and motivation as necessary to develop staff
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with business line leadership and control partners
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 10+ years in designing and building frameworks and foundations for data analytics
- Expert level experience in designing, building and managing applications to process large amounts of data in a Hadoop ecosystem
- Extensive experience with performance tuning applications on Hadoop and configuring Hadoop systems to maximize performance
- Extensive experience building systems to perform real-time data processing using Spark Streaming and Kafka, or similar technologies
- Extensive experience with common SDLC, including SCM, build tools, unit testing, TDD/BDD, continuous delivery and agile practices
- 4+ years of hands on coding skills in Scala, Spark and Python
- 5+ years of hands-on Hadoop experience with related technologies (Hive, HBase, Impala, Cassandra, HDFS, MapReduce, Pig, Oozie, Zookeeper, Yarn)
- 10+ years experience in modeling and working with relational databases (Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL
- Hands on experience in coding tools such as GitHub
- Experience with Unix-based systems, including bash programming
- Experience with other distributed technologies such as Cassandra, Solr/ElasticSearch, Flink, Flume would also be desirable