Head of IT Infrastructure
- Charlotte, NC, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Brighthouse Financial, Inc.
- 19 Oct 18
Head of IT Infrastructure
Brighthouse Financial is a new company established by MetLife. We're on a mission to help people achieve financial security. Built on a foundation of industry knowledge and experience, we specialize in offering essential annuity and life insurance products designed to help customers protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts more predictably. In an industry that often has a reputation for complexity, confusion, and cost, Brighthouse Financial is different. Our approach includes simplicity, transparency, and more value so customers can face the future with confidence.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking passionate, high-performing team members to help us carry out our mission and be part of an exciting journey toward improving the financial futures of our millions of customers. Sound like you? Read on.
Role Value Proposition:
In separating from MetLife's technology environment, Brighthouse Financial made the strategic decision to create an environment "born on the cloud," i.e., leverage of "software as a service" (SaaS) offerings to fulfill the vast majority of business functions. In the end-state, we will source the delivery of various business functions through several dozen SaaS providers. In leveraging these services, we believe that we will greatly simplify how we will deliver business functions for the organization. We will remain with vendors' standard offerings, while at the same time benefitting from the ongoing innovation that those vendors bring. In the cases that we decide to retain some amount of internal development, it will be delivered through platform- or infrastructure-as-a-service (PaaS or IaaS) hosting on the cloud (e.g., Azure, Software, AWS).
Brighthouse Financial is partially through the transition to its end-state technology environment. In collaboration with a managed services provider (MSP) - IBM - it currently operates its own voice/data network, laptops, and printers. It has also migrated a number of business functions to target state SaaS providers. However, there continue to be needs within the IT infrastructure space, including:
- Hardening the voice and data network infrastructure within BHF's five office locations;
- Refining the process to "on board" the dozens of SaaS providers into BHF's cloud environment, including connectivity amongst the providers themselves;
- Developing the incident, problem, and change management processes needed to support the environment through both the construction and steady state operations phases;
- Improving the experience for BHF end-users in their leverage of technology;
- Building and leading the team necessary for supporting the organization over the longer term; and
- Effectively managing the vendor relationships - notably IBM - that are important in the delivery of cloud services.
Though all of these responsibilities will be critical to the success of this role, effective leadership of teams and effective management of vendors will be most critical.
- Complete the construction and hardening of BHF's internal IT infrastructure.
- Develop an effective IT service management program that includes effective mechanisms for incident, problem, and change management. This should include:
- Refining procedures for identifying incidents and routing them to correct teams for resolution;
- Ensuring proper metrics are in place, tracked, and reported upon;
- Regularly canvass the user population to ensure high satisfaction levels; and
- Ensure proper integration with SaaS providers in their incident detection and reporting.
- In all of the activities above, effectively manage BHF's vendor partners - notably IBM - who are responsible for delivering these services.
- Collaboratively work with the leadership of the Future State Platform program, responsible for migrating business functions from MetLife's systems to Brighthouse's target state SaaS environment. This collaboration will include:
- "On boarding" of SaaS providers into BHF's cloud environment, including integration through the Equinix Cloud Exchange;
- Effective handoffs between IT Infrastructure and the Future State Platform teams when dealing with incidents during both development and production; and
- Clear planning for involvement by vendors and BHF resources in efforts that span both SaaS and IT infrastructure activities.
- Thought leadership in DevOps and other automation concepts that, when applied, should further simplify the operation of BHF's technology ecosystem.
- Collaboration with BHF's Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) on fulfillment of security standards through the IT infrastructure.
- Definition of the organizational structure of the IT infrastructure function, along with recruiting and hiring for needed roles. Once populated, the leader of the IT infrastructure team will be responsible for inspirational leadership of that organization and will be a senior member of the IT leadership team.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 15+ years of broad technology experience in managing infrastructure services, specifically in dealing with cloud / SaaS providers.
- Intelligent, articulate and persuasive leader with excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication and presentation skills. Must serve as an effective member of the senior management team with the ability to communicate infrastructure-related concepts in a way that is understood by senior leaders.
- Proven experience tied to an outsourced infrastructure model and demonstrated ability to influence and govern large-scale managed service providers, inclusive of service level and user experience improvements
- Experience in managing vendors and third parties.
- Accomplished and effective change leader with people management responsibility and ability to implement the infrastructure management vision for BHF.
- Strong, demonstrated experience in managing a variety of vendors in operationally demanding environments. This should include establishing operational standards and service level agreements with third parties, and governing SaaS vendor relationships
- Creative, innovative and thorough approach with the ability to operate autonomously.
- While knowledge and experience of the insurance industry and relevant regulatory environment would be a plus, varied industry experience would be desired to disrupt the status quo in envisioning a fresh approach to BHF's future platform.
- Bachelor's degree and related field experience required, MBA or other advanced degree preferred.
- Focuses on Customers - Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Thinks Strategically - Sets direction aligned to the company's strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Drives Results - Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
- Motivates People - Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company's vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
- Creates Partnerships - Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Models our Values - Creates a culture that promotes the company's values and standards through role modeling, accountability and ownership of decisions.