- Charlotte, NC, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Brighthouse Financial, Inc.
- 17 Feb 18 2018-02-17
Brighthouse Financial is a new company established by MetLife. We're on a mission to help people achieve financial security. Built on a foundation of industry knowledge and experience, we specialize in offering essential annuity and life insurance products designed to help customers protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts more predictably. In an industry that often has a reputation for complexity, confusion, and cost, Brighthouse Financial is different. Our approach includes simplicity, transparency, and more value so customers can face the future with confidence.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking passionate, high-performing team members to help us carry out our mission and be part of an exciting journey toward improving the financial futures of our millions of customers. Sound like you? Read on.
Role Value Proposition:
Reporting to a Manager under Controllers Operations, this position will be responsible for the financial statements of lower tier subsidiaries, handling both GAAP and STAT reporting. (S)he will perform tasks with high degree of accountability. The Senior Accountant will help ensure the accuracy of the ledger information, and will use it to create comprehensive and coherent attribution-based analysis on financial results and business drivers. In addition to the production of financial reports, the Senior Accountant will work towards developing insurance and reinsurance related business knowledge that enhances his/her relative contribution to the organization.
- Prepare GAAP and STAT journal entries. Investigate all variances in premiums, fees, other income, benefits, and interest credited income statement lines.
- Complete GAAP detailed income statement and balance sheet analysis to explain variances for product earnings sign-off. Reconcile various balance sheet accounts.
- Reviews actual vs. projection results by product for GAAP earnings sign-off and researches discrepancies, as needed.
- Review reinsurance treaty activity and settlement sheets for accuracy and reasonableness.
- Prepare GAAP analysis of income statement and balance sheet.
- Complete STAT detailed income statement and balance sheet analysis at the legal entity level to explain variances for earnings sign-off.
- Prepare quarterly financial metrics to aid in both internal and external management reporting.
- Handle ad hoc request as they arise and participate in special projects as needed.
- Provide documentation as needed to SOX, external auditors, and internal auditors.
- Responsible for the maintenance of complex general ledger entries and is responsible for the accuracy of financial statements and managerial reports per GAAP and STAT Accounting Principles.
- Stays abreast of accounting procedures or new product accounting rules as changes arise.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- B.A./B.S. in Accounting/Finance or equivalent
- 5-8 years of experience in Accounting
- CPA, MBA, or CMA highly desired
- Proficient in US GAAP; knowledge of FAS97 and FAS60 accounting a plus
- Proficient in insurance and reinsurance accounting and US STAT
- Knowledge of SAP ERP a plus
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills
- Ability to produce results and carry out initiatives independently
- Effective time management and prioritization
- Ability to work within tight time constraints and multiple priorities
- Pays attention to details while understanding impacts to the broader organization Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, teamwork and collaboration
- Overtime is required during peak periods
- Excellent interpersonal skills, teamwork and collaboration.
- Overtime is required during peak periods.
Accounting and Finance
Number of Openings
Leader - Core Finance Rptg, Management Reporting
Employee Referral Award