BIS Operations Manager, Vice President - Delaware
Description About this role
BlackRock Investment Stewardship (BIS) is a 50+ member global team operating in five offices across three regions - the Americas (New York and San Francisco); Europe, Middle East and Africa (London); and Asia-Pacific (Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Sydney) - and undertakes engagement with and proxy voting at portfolio companies on behalf of clients globally.
BIS is looking for an Operations manager to provide day to day operational oversight and project support to the global BIS function across all operational aspects of our global stewardship activities with particular focus on proxy voting operations. The candidate will lead a small team to enable scale operations across day to day voting and related activity, requiring a strong understanding of proxy voting workflows globally, associated platform and ecosystem, mutual fund and ETF administration and custody operations, as well as understanding the Aladdin infrastructure around portfolio structures and holdings. The candidate will help ensure that appropriate quality controls and reconciliations are implemented to scale for global voting activity along with comprehensive documentation of core business processes and protocols. Daily responsibilities and project work will require working closely with the rest of the BIS platform and research teams, voting analysts, and communications team members globally as well as with partners across Business Operations and other functions across the firm.
The role reports to the Managing Director of Global Platform, Research and Business Strategy, and is based in Delaware. Key Responsibilities:
- Oversee Delaware Stewardship Operations team that is globally responsible for daily proxy voting operations including the following activities:
- Portfolio Onboarding
- Voting Controls (End of Day checks, weekly reconciliations)
- ISS ProxyExchange Platform Support and Administration
- Annual Regulatory Filings
- Vote Reviews conducted by our Independent Fiduciary
- Publication of Quarterly Proxy Vote Disclosures
- Vote Confirmation Support with Third Parties
- Corporate Actions Support with internal business operations teams
- Securities Lending and Power of Attorney Support
- Ad-hoc inquiries on stewardship activity from internal stakeholders
- Provide daily oversight of client operations for routine client reporting requests and other inquires
- Responsibility for ISS ProxyExchange platform including maintenance of ongoing issues and annual due diligence
- Escalation point for operational issues globally related to voting matters
The person in this role will have/be:
- Initiate and drive platform and process innovations to better support stewardship workflows, internal management reports, ad-hoc inquiries about voting and engagement activity, and client requests
- Bachelor's Degree is required, with preference to business disciplines such as Finance, Accounting, or Economics, and technical disciplines such as Computer Science, Information Systems, or Engineering
- An understanding of and interest in corporate governance and sustainability issues as investment considerations
- Five to seven years in a business operations role at an investment firm or asset owner, preferably in roles involved dealing with public equity securities and ideally, on proxy voting
- Extremely organized, with very strong attention to detail, self-reliant and able to lead multiple projects
- Experience with managing teams with operational focus and overseeing detailed internal processes and management reports for senior audiences
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- The ability to manage competing demands on their time and keep track of projects and deadlines, often under time pressure
- The ability to build and maintain successful relationships with colleagues across the firm and with external parties
- Professional and personal integrity and excellent judgment
- Extensive knowledge of Excel and strong knowledge of the entire MS Office suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills combined with agile critical thinking and a problem solving mindset, with the ability to collaborate with both technical and non-technical personnel
- Demonstrable desire to expand technical expertise
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, we help millions of people build savings that serve them throughout their lives by making investing easier and more affordable.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.