About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
To support the Bank's Financial Crime Compliance Americas division (FCC) in ensuring that the business in the US operates in accordance with all legal and regulatory requirements and all Group standards relating to anti-money laundering and counter terrorism financing (AML).
To conduct investigations that detect and report suspicious activity to governmental authorities and enable the Bank to form sound judgments concerning reputational and other risks and meets expectations of regulators and other compliance stakeholders.
To support the promotion of the business, culture and practice of FCC within the letter and spirit of US Laws, including local Laws and Regulations, in accordance with Group standards.
- Review and analyze leads for potential suspicious activity, including those generated from detection scenario processes, the service of subpoenas and warrants, negative media reports, as well as other sources to include:
- Identifying, researching and reporting suspicious activity.
- Managing the investigative process from initial detection to disposition.
- Thoroughly and timely reviewing reports and other investigative leads that potentially identify suspicious activity.
- Formulating and recommending responses to potentially suspicious findings, reporting such activity to the appropriate regulatory authorities, and supporting FCC in developing the Bank's forward-looking risk-mitigation response.
- Support Managers and Team Leaders in conducting AML investigations.
- Coordinating responses and requests pursuant to Section 314 of the USA PATRIOT Act.
- Work with team members to determine whether to close cases, escalate findings and/or file a Suspicious Activity Report ("SAR") with the U.S. Treasury's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network.
- Drafting and reviewing SARs.
- Performing data-entry related to tracking and documenting all investigative steps
- Ensure a full understanding of the risk and control environment in area of responsibility.
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the firm operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role
- Deliver 'effective governance'; challenge fellow executives effectively; and work with any local regulators in an open and cooperative manner .
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Embed the Group's values and code of conduct to ensure that adherence with the highest standards of ethics, and compliance with relevant policies, processes and regulations among employees form part of the culture.
- Head, FCC Investigations in region
- FCC Department in region and global
Our Ideal Candidate
- Embed Here for good and Group's brand and values in FCC
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
- Bachelor degree in Finance, Economics, Economic Crime Investigation, or related field of study, from an accredited institution
- Advanced degrees (JD, MBA, etc.) will be viewed positively
- 3-5 years experience in a large multinational financial institution, law firm or a global organization.
- 1-3 years AML Compliance or related banking experience and / or experience involving money laundering or complex financial investigations within the financial industry or in the governmental regulatory, intelligence or law enforcement space (international, federal, state and local levels will be considered.
- CAMS certification strongly preferred. (Required within one year)
- Demonstrates an understanding of the key products or services provided by the business / function, and the processes and controls that underpin them.
- Demonstrates an understanding of compliance regulations, knowledge of global procedures and policies, including a core understanding in AML, Sanctions, CDD or Anti Bribery.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the SAR process.
- Proven capability to conduct open source research and leverage Bank internal data sources to assist in building composite analytical products.
- Has the ability to interpret complex information and determine the research and analysis required to extract facts that can be objectively supported. Has a strong investigative mindset where critical thinking is applied, exemplified by a number of attributes; professional scepticism, a meticulous and consistent approach to research and analytics, and the ability to thoroughly articulate a defence for conclusions reached.
- Clear, concise communication style (written and verbal); demonstrates engaged listening skills; able to maintain composure in a stressed situation.
- Self motivated - Strong work orientation, works independently, takes accountability for decisions, actions and outcomes
- Collaborative - Actively collaborate within and across teams
- Personal Agility - Agile and receptive to change. Positive and solutions oriented
- Prior law enforcement or regulatory experience will be viewed positively
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.