- Whippany, NJ, USA
- Contract, Full time
- Barclays - US
- 15 Jan 19
Hadoop Database Administrator - Contract
Overall purpose of role
The Dataware L3 DBA will be a key technical leader of the global Dataware team, utilising their excellent technical knowledge and experience to proactively define and develop the environment and procedures, and be an expert troubleshooter for major or critical service incidents.
- Ownership and leadership of technical resolution for high severity production incidents ( sev 3 high, sev 2 and sev 1 )
- Adherence to Barclays standards for change control, Dataware security and Dataware patterns
- Lead technical team in disaster recovery and business continuity exercises
- Define operational procedures and documentation
- Provide on-call support where required
- Lead and define database delivery requirements for service improvement unit initiatives
- Design and lead internal projects and deliveries aligned with the Dataware roadmap
- Support the product owner in developing the Dataware roadmap
- Identify new technologies and services to transform the database environment
- Mentor the global technical team to build a high-performing technical delivery environment
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
- The successful candidate will be well-organised and communicate clearly, with a passion for service delivery and will possess personal qualities to drive forward the global technical environment and services provided. They remain calm under pressure and are confident in leading activities and engaging stakeholders up to and including senior leadership.
- Proven experience as lead technician supporting major or critical applications
- Experience in leading and mentoring diagnosis and resolution of technical issues
- Expert in performance tuning
- Resolves critical incidents and problems and fluently applies escalation and notification procedures to leadership
- Can define and document specific techniques for incident / problem resolution and for proactive database management
- Experienced with owning, planning, communication and approvals for significant changes / upgrades
- Collaborates and communicates well with partner teams - application run and build, service management, incident management, server and storage
Essential/ Basic Skills
- 5+ years of experience with Database tuning and capacity management on enterprise data warehouses
- 5 + years of experience and expert knowledge of database administration
- 5+ years of experience and expert in multiple versions of, Hadoop tools and utilities plus knowledge of other products in the marketplace
- 3+ years of Hbase Hive HDFS Spark Kafka and Solr.
- 3+ years of automation tool like Chef and
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
- Strong knowledge of the ITIL framework, vocabulary and best practices
- Experience of technical service delivery within a high-pressure financial services environment
- Experience of working in a highly regulated environment and the associated processes and tools
- Better communication Skills, should have experience in stakeholder handling.
- Ability to handle major incident, escalation handling.