- Manhattan, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
- 13 Oct 17
Executive Director, Enterprise Risk, Compliance Americas
- Location: Manhattan, NY, USA
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
Please view Job Description for details.* In conjunction with the US Head of Risk Governance and Enterprise Risk Management, develop a framework for analyzing local regulatory requirements including supervisory letters against Group Policies and Procedures to determine gaps and generate local addenda to bridge the identified gaps.
* Work with senior Compliance Risk Officers to ensure awareness and knowledge of regulatory changes to ensure they are properly equipped to advise key Business/Function stakeholders.
* Identify and highlight concentrations of risk, assess their fit to strategy, robustly challenge assumptions to make material risk taking explicit rather than implicit
* Project management, planning and coordination of resources to ensure compliance with new or existing regulations (including Reg YY), internal risk governance and policy requirements applicable to the US and the Americas Risk function.
* Develop, maintain and implement an effective Enterprise Risk Management Framework for overall management of the Compliance owned principal risk-types in the US, and drive common approach for risk identification, risk classification, risk assessment methods, approach to risk appetite and policies, risk authorities and decision making process, risk monitoring and reporting, escalation, and interconnectedness across different risk-types.
* Provide guidance on application and interpretation of banking and securities laws and in country policies and procedures.
* Sets control standards and provide advice on development of appropriate controls for mitigation of regulatory risks.
* Provide timely regulatory advice and recommendations on key issues.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
* Provide oversight of the policies and ensure that the policies clearly define the mandatory principles and requirements, and distinguish the non-mandatory guidance. Ensure that the policies clearly maps to the principal risk and its sub-types, outlines the areas of interconnectedness and cross references to policies of other principal risk types and risk sub-types as applicable, identifies the critical processes and business activities to which the policy requirements are subject to, sets out the policy authorities and decision making process, and outlines the policy assurance measures and mechanisms.
* Coordinate the roll out of all policies within Compliance.
* Operational risk oversight of processes owned by the ERM function.
* Responsible for the processes owned by the ERM function, and ensure that adequate controls are in place to mitigate operational risks and review control monitors for ongoing assurance.
* Continuously improve the operational efficiency and effectiveness of Risk and Compliance function's processes.
* Ensure the integrity of risk measurement processes and monitoring.
People and Talent
* Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
* Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people, and ensure that holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate associated risks.
* Employ, engage and retain high quality people with succession planning for critical roles
* Identify risks in-country through measures analysis of factual scenarios and/or documentation.
* Anticipate, assess and communicate key regulatory risk trends in-country for management consideration through delivery of regulatory mandated Risk Assessments. Drive development and implementation of appropriate mitigation control measures.
* Plan and deliver Compliance related local control testing reviews in the Americas.
* Periodically review and challenge the risk appetite statements, metrics and thresholds with the respective Second Line owners, and coordinate on behalf of Regional CRO, Europe & Americas and CRO Americas for US & Americas Risk Committees review and approval.
* Continuously monitor the risk appetite metrics and thresholds, and work with the Second Line owners to remediate breaches to Board approved thresholds.
* Provide timely, robust and quality inputs into Country level RMI, Hotspots and other Group driven MI.
* Ensure effective Operational Risk assessment and controls over all ERM processes - obtain approval from Group Operational Risk where required
* Maintain effective governance and validation mechanisms to provide that risk identification, measurement and modelling capabilities are objective, consistent and compliant with applicable regulations
* Review all ERM related audits. Track and monitor all audit findings assigned to ERM to ensure timely completion. Track and monitor regulatory requirements and examinations to ensure that these are communicated at risk committees as required.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
* Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
* Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
* Lead the Regulatory Compliance team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles
* Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
* Provide regulatory advice to Compliance Risk Owners.
* Collaborate on business and product developments in-country and local regulatory developments with Business Compliance teams.
* Set and establish team objectives and priorities through discussions with relevant stakeholders ensuring alignment with the business agenda. Undertake regular performance and development reviews and discussions.
* Ensure the team works effectively and proactively with senior Compliance stakeholders.
Qualifications and Skills
Take the Lead
Target Proficiency Level