2021 Legal Summer Associate Program (New York)
Placement and duration
The Summer Associate Program is an eight week program beginning in June that provides Black, Hispanic and Native American first year law students in-depth exposure to our Legal and Compliance Division, as well as the Firm's culture. During the Program, Summer Associates will work under the direction and supervision of attorneys in the Firm's Legal Department on assignments incorporating various aspects of a legal practice in a leading global financial institution.
The Program includes an orientation to the Firm, senior management speaker seminars, and networking events within Morgan Stanley and among New York law firms. Training Program
Summer Associates participate in a Firmwide and Divisional Orientation as well as training throughout the Program on topics such as the legal aspects of the financial services industry and soft skills required for professional development. The remainder of the training occurs through substantive assignments and critical feedback from attorneys in the Department. Responsibilities
Examples of assignments you might receive include:
Qualifications/ Skills/ Requirements
- Assisting attorneys with investigating claims (such as participating in client interviews).
- Collecting and reviewing relevant documents and information in response to regulatory inquiries.
- Assisting in the preparation of responses to certain requests.
- Assisting with legal research.
- Assisting with aspects of regulatory reform implementation.
- Preparing client updates on legal developments.
- Currently enrolled in 1st year of JD program.
- Interest in financial institutions..
- Excellent academic performance.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong research and analytical ability.
- Superior organization skills and attention to detail.
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.