2021 Public Finance Summer Associate Program (New York)
Placement and Duration
The Public Finance Summer Associate Program is a 10-week program, including one week of classroom training. The program provides Masters students an opportunity to master the analytical, quantitative and interpersonal skills necessary to develop an exciting and rewarding career on Wall Street. Summer Associates assume the functions of Full Time Associate, servicing the Firm's investment banking clients in the public sector and not-for-profit sector across the United States. Over the course of the summer, Summer Associates are given an opportunity to explore multiple product areas, including Infrastructure (States, Cities and Local Governments), Higher Education and Not-for-Profit Institutions, Healthcare, Affordable Housing, Public Power and Utilities and Syndicate. Training program
Summer Associates begin with a one-day orientation where they are introduced to the Firm's businesses and learn what it's like to be an employee at Morgan Stanley. Public Finance Summer Associates then attend training where they learn the core skills required to be successful on the job, as well as Public Finance-specific training. The curriculum includes market updates, bond math, the fundamentals of tax-exempt municipal bonds and credit risk analysis. In addition, Summer Associates have several opportunities to network with peers, mentors and managers through speaker events, team building sessions, learning lunches, community service and social events. Responsibilities
Summer Associates in Public Finance will collaborate with Full-time employees to develop the skills they will need to have a successful summer, including:
- Draft presentation materials, memos and responses to Requests for Proposals to generate new business.
- Develop structuring, cash flow financial models, primarily for bond transactions.
- Shadow full-time employees as they communicate complex ideas and solutions with potential and existing clients.
- You are pursuing a Master's degree with a graduation date of December 2021 or Spring 2022.
- You have a compelling interest in and knowledge of the financial markets, specifically in municipals and public finance.
- You have an advanced knowledge of MS Excel.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Adaptable, versatile, and analytical.
- Strong work ethic, collaborative, ability to multi-task