Analyst/Associate, BlackRock Investment Stewardship (BIS)
Description About this role
As an independent, fiduciary asset manager, BlackRock is committed to acting at all times in the best long-term interests of our clients. We undertake our investment stewardship activities to protect and enhance the economic value of the companies in which we invest on their behalf.
BIS is considered an investment function and is an important component of BlackRock's client value proposition. The team operates in seven offices across three regions - the Americas (New York and San Francisco); Europe, Middle East and Africa (London); and Asia-Pacific (Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore and Sydney) - and undertakes engagement with and proxy voting at portfolio companies on behalf of clients globally.
BlackRock aims to take a common view in-house regarding our engagement and voting policies and uses the BIS group to develop, communicate and implement these policies across the 95 markets and approximately 16,000 shareholder meetings at which the firm votes each year.
Interest in the work of BIS has steadily increased over the past few years as have expectations of clients and others in relation to the communications and transparency of BIS. As BIS is focused on helping BlackRock meet its fiduciary duty to clients, communication with and reporting to clients, and other stakeholders, on BIS' work is a key part of the team's output. Role description:
The Analyst/Associate - Communications will work as part of a team responsible for complementing the work of the three regional teams (AMRS, APAC, EMEA). The role reports to the Managing Director - Global Institutional Relations and Policy and is based in New York. The intention is for the person in this role to contribute to developing content for client and public communications on BIS' work, particularly on engagements with corporates and policy positions.
- Contribute to client communications on BIS' work
- Convert information provided by regional team members into content for regular client reports
- Ad hoc reports or commentaries as required
- Client specific reporting and RFP support as required
- Annual stewardship report
- Quarterly bespoke client reports
- Global Quarterly Report covering voting and engagement activity with case studies and data
- Review and help keep current BIS' suite of client communications and suggest areas for innovation as appropriate
- Work with the Communications team on improving messaging, formats and focus of materials
- Work with the Communications on improving the bank of client presentations materials, case studies and related
- Help communicate BLK positioning on emerging trends and issues
- Work with team experts to publish thought leadership pieces, unique research, and opinion pieces (e.g. blogs)
- Contribute to firm-wide publications (e.g. BlackRock Sustainable Investing, Investment Institute and Global Public Policy papers) and internal talking points on ESG themes
- Support external engagement
- Support senior team members in preparing remarks for public speaking engagements
- Contribute to Rapid Response efforts following external publications covering BIS' stewardship work in relation to BLK's holdings
- Support relevant subject matter experts to communicate with companies on thematic engagements, e.g. through letter writing
- Support relevant subject matter experts to communicate with companies on emerging themes and trends and the likely implications for voting and engagement
The person in this role will be/will have:
- Work with compliance and other businesses to review all materials to ensure consistent messaging and appropriate content
- An undergraduate degree that contributed to the development of strong research, analysis and communication skills
- Skills and experience in business writing
- Fluency in and knowledge of investment management, economics and finance
- Proven interest in corporate governance and sustainable investing
- An understanding of and interest in ESG factors as long-term investment considerations
- The ability to understand complex issues and translate them into simple, actionable ideas for clients and other key stakeholders
- The ability to build and maintain successful relationships with colleagues across the firm and with external parties
- The ability to work effectively and accurately under time pressure
- Details focused and persistent to see things through to completion whilst managing multiple tasks and changing priorities
- Organized, self-reliant and self-motivated
- Professional and personal integrity and excellent judgment
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of June 30, 2020, the firm managed approximately $7.32 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.