Appraisal Manager - Commercial Real Estate
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 17 Oct 18
Appraisal Manager - Commercial Real Estate
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
The talent and passion of our people is critical to our continued success as a firm. Together, we share four core values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic:
1. Putting Clients First
2. Doing the Right Thing
3. Leading with Exceptional Ideas
4. Giving Back
Morgan Stanley is committed to helping its employees build meaningful careers and we strive to be a place for people to learn, achieve and grow.
Firm Risk Management
Firm Risk Management (FRM) enables Morgan Stanley to achieve its business goals by partnering with business units across the Firm to realize efficient risk-adjusted returns, acting as a strategic advisor to the Board and protecting the Firm from exposure to losses as a result of credit, market, liquidity, operational, model and other risks.
Our mission is to serve as the follow roles:
· I ndependent agent to set consistent principles and disciplines for risk management
· Strategic advisor to Firm management for setting risk appetite and allocating capital
· Industry leader to influence and meet regulatory standards
You will collaborate with colleagues across FRM and the Firm to protect the Firm's capital base and franchise, advise businesses and clients on risk mitigating strategies, develop tools and methodologies to analyze and monitor risk, contribute to key regulatory initiatives and report on risk exposures and metrics to enable informed and strategic decision-making. Through thoughtful analysis and clear communication we are best able to bring our ideas to the table and improve the Firm.
Firm Risk Management values diversity and is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees.
Firm Risk Management's unique franchise promotes:
ü Flat, flexible and integrated global organization
ü Collaboration and teamwork
ü Credible, independent decision-making
ü Organizational influence
ü Creative and practical solutions
ü Meritocratic and diverse culture
Background on the Position
Commercial Real Estate (CRE) CRM team is looking to hire an experienced Appraisal Manager. The primary responsibility for this individual is to oversee our appraisal management process and ensure the CRE appraisal and evaluation program maintains its independence and compliance with regulatory requirements and guidelines. The appraisal reports are for use in the underwriting of commercial real estate transactions across the US and all property types.
· Management of appraiser engagement process to ensure consistency with Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP), FIRREA, internal policies and generally accepted appraisal standards, including managing the list of acceptable appraisal and appraisal review firms;
· Determine if the appraisal adequately addresses a wide variety of issues that affect property values;
· Act as an intermediary between external appraisal manager and our business unit underwriters to ensure adherence to regulatory guidance and internal policies and procedures;
· Coordinate transition from appraisal management to appraisal review;
· Manage quarterly and annual collateral-monitoring programs;
· Develop forms and tools to streamline processes and create efficiencies in appraisal process for complete underwriting review.
· 8-10 years of commercial real estate appraisal experience for all types of properties and in locations throughout the US.
· Experience and knowledge of Commercial Real Estate Lending products and securitization
· Extensive knowledge and understanding of commercial appraisal techniques and regulations
· Demonstrated knowledge of regulations affecting the appraisal industry to include FIRREA, USPAP and the Interagency Guidelines
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Candidate will need to be proficient and experienced with Argus software for property valuations.
· MAI certification preferred