- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
Associate – Billing
Location: New York, NY, USAThe Role / Responsibilities:
The Associate, Billing-MIS position resides within the Billing team within the Controllership. The Billing team is responsible for supporting the rating agency's activities by generating invoices (approx. 40,000 annually) for services provided. The activity of the Billing team has a direct impact upon the revenue for Moody's Investor Services and regulatory reporting and corporate financial reporting.
In order to support the execution of the above, the Associate-Billing relies upon a knowledge of 350+ ratings products, more than 1,300 fee documents, and the applicable systems and applications. The rules that dictate the fee schedules have been built over years of Moody's history and possess many intricacies. The systems that support the invoicing process are highly fragmented and not integrated. The Associate-Billing must be able to learn and apply his/her knowledge of the products and systems in order to navigate the intricacies of the fee schedules to derive accurate invoices for Moody's customers. Knowledge of the business, the ability to exercise sound judgment and the ability to develop strong internal working relationships with all teams that support the rating agency is required in order to achieve the above objectives.
The Associate-Billing-MIS also maintains a micro-perspective of the team's strategy, policies, goals and objectives. He/she carries out the execution of these processes and supports their translation into procedures and plans, often serving as a key resource internally to provide guidance on impacts to fees charged and how and when revenue is recognized. He/she will work closely with colleagues in completing group responsibilities and will assist as needed in the preparation of period-end departmental analysis and reporting.
- Print Rating Release Sheets (RRS) from AccuRate and forward to manager for review.
- Verify that information contained in assigned RRS is accurate and consistent.
- Review New Ratings report and research information in order to prepare draft invoice.
- Contact Commercial team to confirm special invoicing instructions which may differ from the posted fee schedule.
§ Invoicing - Prepare draft invoices by:
- Selecting and applying correct fee schedules.
- Calculating additional fees associated with the rating.
- Researching Issuer to see if they qualify for relationship pricing.
- Researching discrepancies and exceptions.
- Applying appropriate discounts.
- Selecting or creating correct billing customer and Commercial team contacts.
- Presenting draft invoices to manager for review.
- Processing annual fee drafts which are apportioned monthly.
- Document the inspection and review of all invoice drafts processed.
- Contribute in team concept; assist peers in managing group work-load and support team projects.
- Follow up on unresolved invoicing issues by reviewing and answering emails and other requests.
- Send out reminder e-mails to parties who have not provided requested information.
- Ensures that they are individually meeting internal policy and procedure requirements by being aware of the key controls, risks and compensating controls in his/her process flow and identifies changes in the operating and internal controls environment.
- Assist with tasks as requested.
Weekly - Review New Ratings report ensuring that all debt/deals are accounted for.
- Run and review Face Amount Change report; make corrections and comments and submit to manager.
- Review invoice request system to ensure invoicing is complete and accurate.
Monthly - Review annuals spreadsheets to ensure that all instruments, expected to be invoiced, are captured.
- Assist with audit completeness checks.
- Print batch drafts for previous and current quarter invoices.
- Print batch drafts for previous and current year annual invoices.
- Apportion annual and quarterly drafts for daily processing to ensure mid-month completion date.
- Run and review annuals batch report.
- Test new invoicing features and applications.
- Prepare Phoenix Tasks to address Phoenix invoicing problems.
- Maintain current knowledge of required applications and fee schedules.
- Recommend ideas and enhancements to billing/finance process and Phoenix system.
- Attend group and departmental meetings and provide feedback.
Projects Assist with special projects as needed.
The Department / Team:
The Associate, Billing-MIS position sits within the Billing team within the Controllership. The Billing team is responsible for supporting the rating agency's invoicing activities by processing approximately 40,000 invoices annually in order to collect upon the fees charged for Moody's rating services. The activity of the Billing team has a direct impact upon the revenue for Moody's Investor Services and regulatory reporting and corporate financial reporting.
§ Undergraduate degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or other business discipline.
§ 1 to 3 years' experience performing in an Accounting, Auditing or Billing environment required.
§ A background demonstrating analytical and problem solving ability is necessary.
§ Demonstrated ability to effectively compile and compare disparate pieces of information to support decision-making.
§ Ability to exercise sound judgment with respect to decision-making and problem-solving while navigating through complex processes.
§ Experience working with Accounting and /or Billing systems required.
§ Experience in working/organizing an operational process required.
§ Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel is a must.
§ Strong organizational skills and attention to detail are essential.
§ Candidate should possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
§ Candidate must demonstrate good leadership skills with respect to taking end to end ownership for problem resolution.
§ Candidate should possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
Moody's is an essential component of the global capital markets, providing credit ratings, research, tools and analysis that contribute to transparent and integrated financial markets. Moody's Corporation (NYSE: MCO) is the parent company of Moody's Investors Service, which provides credit ratings and research covering debt instruments and securities, and Moody's Analytics, which offers leading-edge software, advisory services and research for credit and economic analysis and financial risk management. The Corporation, which reported revenue of $4.2 billion in 2017, employs approximately 11,900 people worldwide and maintains a presence in 41 countries. Further information is available at www.moodys.com.
Moody's is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender, age, religion, national origin, citizen status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Moody's also provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with applicable laws. If you need to inquire about a reasonable accommodation, or need assistance with completing the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.. This contact information is for accommodation requests only, and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For San Francisco positions, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. For New York City positions, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of the New York City Fair Chance Act. For all other applicants, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of applicable law.
Click here to view our full EEO policy statement. Click here for more information on your EEO rights under the law.
Candidates for Moody's Corporation may be asked to disclose securities holdings pursuant to Moody's Policy for Securities Trading and the requirements of the position. Employment is contingent upon compliance with the Policy, including remediation of positions in those holdings as necessary.