Associate - Risk Data & Strategy
Background on the Position
The role will reside within the Morgan Stanley Risk Data & Strategy (RD&S) team within the Firm Risk Management's (FRM) COO function. RD&S is responsible for the development and promotion of data standards, governance, and monitoring of the Risk Data Domains to evidence compliance with Global Data Policy and the BCBS 239 Principles. RD&S provides strategic partnership across Firm Risk to enhance Risk Data management. Additionally, the team is responsible for facilitating complex data issue investigation across a number of the Risk Domains, actively working on remediation and advising in the development of solutions for cross-risk process efficiency. The team is responsible for creating and maintaining the Global Risk Data Policy, and for reviewing proposed country, legal entity or risk domain specific Risk Data policies or procedures to ensure congruency and alignment across FRM.
RD&S seeks an Associate for a New York-based Risk Data Office role. The selected candidate will be part of a team focused on partnering with Risk Domains to develop and drive strategic solutions for process efficiency and data management challenges across Firm Risk. The teams remit also includes initiatives related to the Firms overall compliance with Global Data Policy, Risk Data Aggregation principles as well as Risk Data Domain compliance with the Risk Data Policy.
To be successful, candidates will benefit from relevant experience, an ability to quickly build/maintain strong internal network/relationships across businesses and control functions, superior communication skills, and a strong desire to learn. The applicant should have a minimum of five years of experience at a financial institution or consulting firm, preferably in a risk, operations, compliance or regulatory function. Prior risk management experience and knowledge of financial market data would be a strong plus.
Primary job responsibilities expected to include:
- Implement Global Data Policy and BCBS239 requirements across FRM
- Drive execution of complex strategic risk data projects with independence, ownership and autonomy
- Engage and advise risk coverage teams to identify and document risk data ownership, authority, sourcing, controls and quality
- Evaluates BCBS239 compliance quarterly through an evidence based FRM-wide assessment program
- Identify and work on areas for improvement in processes related to risk data management
- Liaising with data quality working groups across the Firm on pertinent issues
- Senior management reporting and presentations Qualifications:
Skills desired include:
- Bachelor degree or above in Finance, Economics, Science or related disciplines
- 5 years+ of work experience in the financial services industry particularly in risk management, finance, operation or equivalent experience is preferred
- Good understanding of risk management concepts and financial products, particularly with respect to commercial financial market data
- Knowledge and exposure to US, EMEA and UK financial regulations including BCBS 239 and Basel III pertaining to risk data aggregation/reporting
- Strong organizational and/or project management skills
- Strong collaboration, relationship building and teamwork skills
- Ability to prioritize projects, meet tight deadlines and deliver high quality work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High attention to details
- Good working knowledge in Power Point and Excel