Associate - Risk Identification Portfolio (Capital Planning/Risk COO)
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
The talent and passion of our people is critical to our continued success as a firm. Together, we share five core values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic:
1. Putting Clients First
2. Doing the Right Thing
3. Leading with Exceptional Ideas
4. Giving Back
5. Committing to Diversity and Inclusion
Morgan Stanley is committed to helping its employees build meaningful careers and we strive to be a place for people to learn, achieve and grow. Firm Risk Management
Firm Risk Management (FRM) enables Morgan Stanley to achieve its business goals by partnering with business units across the Firm to realize efficient risk-adjusted returns, acting as a strategic advisor to the Board and protecting the Firm from exposure to losses as a result of credit, market, liquidity, operational, model and other risks.
Our mission is to serve as the follow roles:
• Independent agent to set consistent principles and disciplines for risk management
• Strategic advisor to Firm management for setting risk appetite and allocating capital
• Industry leader to influence and meet regulatory standards
You will collaborate with colleagues across FRM and the Firm to protect the Firm's capital base and franchise, advise businesses and clients on risk mitigating strategies, develop tools and methodologies to analyze and monitor risk, contribute to key regulatory initiatives and report on risk exposures and metrics to enable informed and strategic decision-making. Through thoughtful analysis and clear communication we are best able to bring our ideas to the table and improve the Firm.
Firm Risk Management values diversity and is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees.
Firm Risk Management's unique franchise promotes:
• Flat, flexible and integrated global organization
• Collaboration and teamwork
• Credible, independent decision-making
• Organizational influence
• Creative and practical solutions
• Meritocratic and diverse culture Position Description
Morgan Stanley seeks an Associate level candidate to join the Firm's Risk Identification Portfolio Team. The Risk Identification program at Morgan Stanley monitors risk trends across all risk types and businesses and informs the Firm's risk management, stress testing and capital planning processes. This role involves being a member of the central coordination team for risk identification process that coordinates with business units and control groups across the Firm to identify and analyze risks and aggregate these risks into a consolidated view for senior management. This position offers unique opportunity to gain exposure to various risk types, both financial and non-financial and all business of the Firm.
Primary job responsibilities include:
• Work with stakeholders across Lines of Business, Risk Management and Finance to ensure efficient execution of the quarterly risk identification process in adherence to regulatory guidance and best practices
• Monitor risk trends across all risk types and businesses, recognize and review new or emerging risks and analyze linkages between risks
• Manage governance of the risk identification process, including execution of review and challenge processes
• Coordinate ongoing enhancements to the Risk Identification Framework ensuring adherence to the risk identification process guidelines, standards, controls and timelines for quarterly refreshes
• Maintain policies and procedures, taking into account current regulatory expectations and Firm practices
• Produce documentation and presentations to effectively communicate key information to senior management and regulators
• Develop methods and tools to streamline and increase efficiencies of the risk identification processes Qualifications: Skills Required
• Bachelor's degree (minimum); Excellent academic background
• 2+ years of work experience in the financial industry, preferably in risk management
• Strong analytical background with an understanding of risk management concepts, familiarity with stress testing and capital planning preferred, but not required
• Attention to detail and ability to work independently to produce executive-level materials, analysis and presentations
• Ability to effectively prioritize projects and workload
• Self-motivator and team player who brings a "can-do" approach
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal