Associate, Corporate Governance Sustainability Disclosure
Description About this role Who We Are
BlackRock's Legal and Compliance Department works with business teams to develop investment management products and business solutions that comply with the numerous legal and regulatory requirements to which BlackRock is subject. The Department also advises BlackRock's senior management and Board of Directors on public company reporting and governance matters.
This position is an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated and intellectually curious associate to be part of a small, dynamic Corporate Legal team handling a wide range of general corporate, governance, sustainability, public reporting, strategic M&A, and finance topics for the world's largest asset manager. In this role, you will develop expertise on public company governance, including on Board processes, public company reporting requirements (e.g., Section 16 insider and NYSE reporting), sustainability initiatives and corporate subsidiary management.
We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your rare skills, eagerness, and passion while giving you freedom to grow professionally and as an individual. This role will provide you with significant exposure to our organization's most senior leaders while being at the forefront of critical initiatives and historically has included opportunities to travel to BlackRock's global offices once or twice a year in connection with Board offsite meetings. You will be an integral part of the team, working on special projects, presentations and communications, team initiatives, industry research and more. The role will continue to evolve over time - an exciting opportunity for someone interested in working on the governance of the largest asset manager in the world, whose practices are followed closely by clients, shareholders, regulators and the broader public. Key Responsibilities
In this role, you will work with BlackRock's Corporate Secretary, Assistant Corporate Secretary and other members of the Corporate Legal team on the following: Board of Directors Matters:
Corporate Subsidiary Matters:
- Managing Board of Directors and Committee meeting preparation in consultation with the Executive Compensation, Finance, Risk and CEO's Chief of Staff teams
- Creating presentations and talking points for the Board's Governance Committee and BlackRock's General Counsel
- Drafting Board meeting minutes and resolutions
- Leading secure distribution and retention of records and materials
- Liaising with the NYSE and handling interim and annual certifications
General Governance/Project Management:
- Providing corporate secretarial support for U.S. based subsidiaries to Legal, Finance, Corporate Tax and other business units, including the preparation of corporate entity information and corporate documents (such as incumbency certificates and Board resolutions)
- Collaborating with and providing input to Corporate Tax, Finance and Treasury colleagues on quarterly repatriations and corporate restructuring initiatives, including those involving mergers and acquisitions
- Coordinating and liaising with global corporate secretarial colleagues to maintain an accurate database of legal entity information
- Assisting with legal entity governance processes to ensure that legal entities are appropriately managed and directed in accordance with their governance documents, policies, applicable law and standard methodologies
What You'll Bring
- Providing project related support, research and analysis of corporate and governance matters and handling issues and requests for information as directed by the Corporate Secretary and General Counsel
- Handling the filing of Section 16 reports on behalf of Directors and certain senior members of management, including liaising directly with Directors and brokers as appropriate
- Contributing to and coordinating the drafting, design and production of BlackRock's annual Proxy Statement and the execution of BlackRock's Annual Shareholder Meeting
- Maintaining and managing relationships with key vendors
- Proactively identifying opportunities to make processes more efficient
- Ability to balance multiple and conflicting priorities and significant concurrent tasks to meet deadlines with a high degree of accuracy
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills, with an aptitude for research and the ability to convey complex concepts simply and clearly
- An executive presence, strong interpersonal skills and an ability to interact comfortably with senior managers, executives and Board members
- Ability to manage complex, interdepartmental projects in a professional, deadline-driven fashion and the ability to partner at all levels across the firm
- High-energy, positive "can-do" attitude, and an ability to work as a team player, accept substantial individual responsibility, and proactively create value for the team
- A flair for creativity and problem solving and a keen eye for detail
- Undergraduate college degree (BA/BS)
- One or more of the following professional experiences:
- At least 1-3 years of relevant industry experience (preferably in legal, compliance, strategy, communications or business management)
- Corporate paralegal with 1-3+ years' experience at a leading law firm
- J.D. with 1-3 years of experience practicing corporate law at a law firm or equivalent in-house experience
- Strategy/project management experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint and Visio)
- Experience with Diligent Board Books a plus
- Experience with Diligent Entities a plus
- Knowledge of the investment management industry, financial services or public company governance a plus
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of September 30, 2020, the firm managed approximately $7.81 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock .
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.