Associate Director - Basins + Play Analysis
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- IHS Markit
- 15 Dec 18
Associate Director - Basins + Play Analysis
Play a leading role in the preparation of basin and competitive landscape insights for the Commercial Plays n Basins Worldwide Service and more broadly the Plays & Basins Capability within the Upstream Research Insight business. The primary requirement is for abilities, skills and tasks include (but are not limited) to basin and play analysis and analytics, fundamental quantitative skills, understanding of conventional and unconventional plays, activities and challenges, the ability to articulate (written and verbal) forward looking analysis and conclusions in and for the international E&P arena.
A critical additional requirement for this position is the managerial role involved in planning and following through on key deliverables for the Commercial Plays n Basins Worldwide Service, including review of near-finished product as well as monitoring the overall plan of progress. This role (at this level) will evolve to manage junior staff as resources allow.
Contribute to overall Upstream Plays & Basins analysis of the global E&P industry including market trends, the competitive environment and the strategy, basin and play competitiveness, competitive landscaping and leading indicators for same.
Work closely with other members of the Upstream Plays & Basins team to manage and grow the practice and deliver strong financial results as well as integrate with other dimensions across the Upstream business group.
Over time, engage in BD activities directly, and at times provide support to BD activities conducted by others as an Upstream subject matter expert.
Manage client relationships relating to coverage of global plays and basins research and publications.
Job Complexity/Scope/ Differentiators
• Challenges existing analytical framework
• Understands and copes with ambiguity and contradiction
• Can identify and articulate core/essential issues within complex problems, and deliver insights and solutions.
• Influences decisions within own unit
• Acts as a change agent within own team or activity
• Has direct accountability for quality and quantity of own output and possibly that of a small team; May be accountable for elements of the revenue stream
• Develops, motivates and mentors staff within own area.
• Develops a thorough understanding of the IHS business model.
• May independently perform and guide others in performing same-day analysis or author written analysis for peer review.
Knowledge and Skills
- Graduate Degree in Geology, or Petroleum Engineering, Finance, or Economics, or equivalent required.
- At least 7 to 8 years working experience in the oil and gas industry or related financial services industries.
- Direct knowledge of the global upstream business. Knowledge of E&P asset modeling and project economics and understanding of basins, plays, fields and wells.
- Must be articulate, with strong writing and editing skills
- Analytical, quantitative, and able to see the big picture and draw conclusions by synthesizing and digesting large sets of data. Purely technical subsurface knowledge and skills are not sufficient; a sense of the commercial and strategic aspects of the global upstream business and an ability to describe same.
- Able to work in teams across offices and with members in other practices in a cooperative and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated management kills.
- Able to mentor and train junior staff and approach work in a collaborative manner.
- Required skill(s): Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Tableau or other visualization software
- Willingness to travel for business, including international travel
- Able to work in a multicultural setting
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are critical to this position
- Required language(s): English (Outstanding writing skills in international business English). International languages such as Spanish, Portuguese, French, Arabic, Chinese and/or Russian are a major plus
Experience & Education
• Minimum of 7 to 8 years of directly related professional experience required
Education and Certifications
• University degree (Bachelors or equivalent) in the Geosciences, Petroleum Economics or Engineering.
• Graduate degree in similar disciplines is a requirement also.
It is the policy of IHS Markit to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, IHS Markit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. We maintain a drug-free workplace. For candidates in the US, we are a participant in E-Verify (see link below).
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Right to Work
Pay Transparency Policy
Current Colleagues If you are currently a colleague with IHS Markit please apply internally via Workday.