Associate or Vice President – Credit Risk Portfolio Analysis (Commercial Real Estate & Warehouse Lending)
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
The talent and passion of our people is critical to our continued success as a firm. Together, we share five core values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic:
1. Putting Clients First
2. Doing the Right Thing
3. Leading with Exceptional Ideas
4. Giving Back
5. Committing to Diversity and Inclusion
Morgan Stanley is committed to helping its employees build meaningful careers and we strive to be a place for people to learn, achieve and grow.
Firm Risk Management
Firm Risk Management (FRM) enables Morgan Stanley to achieve its business goals by partnering with business units across the Firm to realize efficient risk-adjusted returns, acting as a strategic advisor to the Board and protecting the Firm from exposure to losses as a result of credit, market, liquidity, operational, model and other risks.
Our mission is to serve as the follow roles:
• Independent agent to set consistent principles and disciplines for risk management
• Strategic advisor to Firm management for setting risk appetite and allocating capital
• Industry leader to influence and meet regulatory standards
You will collaborate with colleagues across FRM and the Firm to protect the Firm's capital base and franchise, advise businesses and clients on risk mitigating strategies, develop tools and methodologies to analyze and monitor risk, contribute to key regulatory initiatives and report on risk exposures and metrics to enable informed and strategic decision-making. Through thoughtful analysis and clear communication we are best able to bring our ideas to the table and improve the Firm.
Firm Risk Management values diversity and is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees.
Firm Risk Management's unique franchise promotes:
• Flat, flexible and integrated global organization
• Collaboration and teamwork
• Credible, independent decision-making
• Organizational influence
• Creative and practical solutions
• Meritocratic and diverse culture
Credit Risk Management (CRM)
Credit Risk Management (CRM) evaluates credit risk transactions and approves, rejects or modifies them considering the availability and appropriateness of arrangements for reducing risk or risk mitigation. The department also assigns Internal Credit Ratings; establishes and manages credit risk limits in accordance with the risk tolerance established by the Board; monitors and reports on credit risk exposures on a regular basis to the Chief Risk Officer, Chief Credit Officer and senior management. CRM also interacts with the business unit to ensure that credit risk assessments are factored into business decisions.
Background on the Position
CRM seeks an Associate/Vice President to join a newly established Portfolio Analysis - Securitized Products team responsible for providing Credit Risk Product Head, the Chief Credit Officer, and Chief Risk Officer with analysis and information to support timely and accurate decision making related to the Firm's credit portfolio. Securitized Products Group (SPG) consists of Commercial Real Estate (CRE) and warehouse loans. This role will also support Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) and Municipal Lending portfolios. The Associate/Vice President will provide in-depth exposure analyses and risk insights for this credit portfolio. This role will collaborate with Credit Coverage officers and Portfolio Analysis team to design, develop, and produce the recurring management reporting providing value additive analysis of Morgan Stanley's credit risk profile and assessment of emerging risk issues.
• Work closely with the CRE, warehouse lending and Credit Portfolio Analysis teams to identify, analyze, and communicate exposure trends and developments
• Analyze and explain period over period exposure changes across a range of credit risk measures
• Oversee the preparation and execution of recurring weekly, monthly, and quarterly analysis and reporting on the CRE, warehouse lending portfolios
• Conduct ad-hoc analysis based on emerging risk trends or at the request of senior management
• Work closely with Reporting teams to automate recurring analysis. In addition, prepare ad-hoc analyses and prototype potential new reports
• Collaborate with Data Control, Credit Risk Agile IT squads, Credit Officers and Business Unit representatives, to ensure new and emerging data required for portfolio analysis is on-boarded into credit risk systems Qualifications:
• 5+ years of experience in credit risk at a large financial services firm, including experience with portfolio level risk analysis and reporting
• In depth understanding of credit risk concepts
• Previous experience in Commercial Real Estate, warehouse lending or municipal lending
• Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, SQL, and VBA
• Sufficient knowledge of programming languages such as Python or R
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, including delivering effective presentations to senior management
• Well-organized and able to work in a fast paced environment with strong attention to detail
• Ability to collaborate with colleagues in other geographic locations
• Bachelor's degree in Finance, Computer Science, or Engineering related areas
• Familiarity with business intelligence software (Tableau, Qlikview, MS Power BI, etc.) is a plus