For more than 40 years, MSCI’s research-based indexes and analytics have helped the world’s leading investors build and manage better portfolios. Clients rely on our offerings for deeper insights into the drivers of performance and risk in their portfolios, broad asset class coverage and innovative research. Our line of products and services includes indexes, analytical models, data, real estate benchmarks and ESG research. MSCI serves 98 of the top 100 largest money managers, according to the most recent P&I ranking.
MSCI is seeking a self-motivated leader to join the Finance Controllers organization as Executive Director – Business Controller with a focus in Subscription Revenue Accounting. This role will lead a global team responsible for managing the recognition of subscription revenue within the financial close process. This position will also provide accounting, reporting and forecasting support to the Business and Coverage teams, as well as provide technical guidance for revenue recognition matters pertaining to new customer contracts and new product developments. This position will also provide leadership on various finance functional transformation projects.
The successful candidate for this position will also partner with cross-functional teams including Investor Relations, Product Finance, Legal, etc. to support the SEC reporting process, quarterly earnings releases and other investor presentations. Additionally, this position will lead or support special projects as they arise, including performing technical accounting research for revenue-related matters, financial analysis of revenues and M&A due diligence. This role will have the opportunity to work with a diverse set of finance stakeholders and senior leaders at the company.
Scope of Responsibility
- Lead, develop and grow the team responsible for the monthly financial close process for revenue recognition accounting
- Manage the technical accounting research and related documentation of revenue-related technical accounting matters
- Identify and lead the implementation of enhancements to revenue accounting, reporting and forecasting processes and related applications
- Partner with Product Finance to support accounting for new or complex revenue transactions, including developing documented conclusions incorporating applicable accounting guidance within the scope of ASC 606 and ASC 985
- Participate in the quarterly SEC filing process, including preparation of assigned disclosures and reviews of investor relations materials
- Execute special projects as assigned, including mergers and acquisitions accounting considerations and finance functional transformation projects
- Manage aspects of the relationship with MSCI’s independent registered public accounting firm
- Proficient with US GAAP and SEC reporting requirements, including ASC 606
- Experience auditing or working for a publicly-traded company
- Strong communication skills with ability to manage multiple priorities effectively
- Strong PowerPoint and Excel skills
- Prior experience managing and leading a global team
- Strong understanding of controls and business processes, particularly within the technology and software businesses
- Experience with SAP, RevStream, ActiveDisclosure, QlikView and Alteryx
- Ability to travel internationally as needed, approximately 15% of the time
- 8+ years in Accounting or Finance related field
- Degree in accounting or finance.
- Certified Public Accountant
- Public accounting (Big Four) and/or industry accounting experience with multi-national public companies within the technology or software industries
Due to the great number of applications we receive for each of our open vacancies, we are unable to respond on an individual basis.
To all recruitment agencies: MSCI does not accept unsolicited CVs/Resumes. Please do not forward CVs/Resumes to any MSCI employee, location or website. MSCI is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs/Resumes.
MSCI Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy/maternity leave), veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law