Business Intelligence Senior Associate
- New York, NY, USA New York NY US
- Permanent, Full time
- New York Life Insurance Company
- 20 Jul 18 2018-07-20
Business Intelligence Senior Associate
New York Life Insurance Company ("New York Life" or "the company") is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity-the values upon which New York Life was founded-have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
The Business Intelligence Senior Associate will join Retail Annuities' Strategy, Research, and Analytics team. This individual acts as a source of information and insights for the Retail Annuities business. He/she is responsible for regular reporting and data requests that allow partners from across the business to understand strategic trends and make data-driven decisions.
The Business Intelligence Senior Associate:
- Assumes ownership of regular (daily, monthly, quarterly) reports to Retail Annuities senior management and colleagues. The reports are primarily sales, product, and marketing-related.
- Sources and synthesizes data for use by Strategy, Product, Sales, Marketing, and other groups in support of these teams' efforts. This includes the timely, efficient delivery of ad hoc data requests
- Acquires data from New York Life databases (ex: Annuity Data Warehouse) and other data sources (ex: Salesforce), and uses tools like Excel or Spotfire/Tableau to synthesize and create visualizations to communicate key information and insights
- Supports the identification and analysis of emerging trends and strategic opportunities using straightforward data analysis
- Collaborates with partners outside of Retail Annuities (i.e., across New York Life) to provide annuity-related data to support broader marketing, regulatory, finance, and sales efforts
- Collaborates with partners in Technology to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of data sources and tools
This role reports to the Corporate Vice President of Strategy and Business Intelligence and will work closely with colleagues across Strategy, Research, and Analytics and the retail annuities business.
Skills and Experience
- 3-5+ years in a related business intelligence, reporting, data analysis, or related role
- Very strong Excel skills
- The ability to query databases using SQL
- Experience with business intelligence tools like Business Objects (ex: Webi) and Spotfire or Tableau
- Strong written communication skills, needed to summarize and communicate findings to stakeholders
- Proven efficiency, attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of Salesforce preferred
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
* Based on revenue as reported by "Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual)," Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
** Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.