Control and Governance Specialist
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
Governance and Control Standards
- Champion consistent application of Department Operating Instructions (DOIs) and standard work across IMO teams
- Supports and contribute to a consultative, collaborative, and risk-based approach towards addressing identified risk issues
- Support the development of a local culture of open and transparent engagement with auditors and regulators across IMO teams
- Enhance IMO knowledge and embedding of risk management, governance, and reporting best practices
- Facilitate a "zero operational loss" and "first time right" culture by servicing as a subject matter expert in areas of responsibility
- Support regulatory and audit requests pertaining to IMO areas of responsibility
- Maintain good working relationships with the various Business Units, Finance, Risk, Technology, and Operations community
- Undertake ad-hoc duties and when delegated by Line Manager and Country Head of IMO
- Perform relevant credit fulfilment activities including discharge of security documentation, monitoring of collateral values, monitoring of dated credit and security documents, etc. on time and to agreed standards
- Ensure proper working of Key Control Self-Assessment (KCSA) / Control Standard Test (CST) process- all KCSAs/CSTs must be conducted following the relevant guidelines and completed within the deadlines
- Lodge CST exceptions in EORP system; ensure relevant stakeholders and committees are informed and clear plans of action to address CSTs exceptions are in place
- Ensure CST scores are maintained within thresholds. Ensure rework is closely monitored and controlled. Conduct monthly rework forums to discuss repeat themes and arrive at corrective actions involving IMO.
- Preparation of ASTAR (Account Subject to Additional Review) report
- Preparation of the Credit Issues Committee (CIC) pack, managing invites and minutes
- Daily excess and past due monitoring and reporting
- Generation of relevant reports and requirements to meet audit and regulatory requests, ensuring submissions are made on a timely basis and the integrity of information used for reporting purposes
- Generates daily, fortnightly, monthly reports as required for Senior Management
- Works with second line functions (e.g. Financial Crime Compliance Assurance teams) to manage second line reviews, queries, and escalations
- Discharge of custodial functions as per Group Standards
- Check and process lodgement / withdrawal in Collateral Management System (CMS)
- Ensure CMS reports are downloaded and actioned based on the laid down process
- Maintain a record of temporary withdrawal security documentation and monitor if status of the security documentation is still outstanding for more than 6 months on a monthly basis
- Discharge of Key Holders Responsibilities as per Group Policies
- Ensure arrangement is made to change combination of the vault keys semi-annually
- Ensure the rolling of vault keys within semi-annual basis and ensure safe keeping of spare keys in Standard Chartered Bank Branch
- Safe keep the security documentation in Fire Proof Vaults and with Cisco
- Scan securing documents in shared drive
People and Talent
- Provide effective orientation /guidance to new Joiners on the bank's policies/procedures/processes to ensure their successful assimilation into the team and the bank
- Develop and implement a personal learning plan with team manager, to attain necessary competencies
- Successfully complete milestones as laid out in implemented personal learning plan
- Support the development of a compliance culture, undertake compliance monitoring through the Operational Risk Framework, pro-actively advise management on compliance issues
- Assist in coordinating, facilitating and promoting understanding of operational risk and in implementation and management of OR within the Unit.
- Ensure all activities are done in line with the laid down Departmental Operating Instructions (DOI) / Roles & Responsibilities and other procedures that are rolled out from time to time. Report any deviation (if any) to appropriate authorities and obtain proper dispensations
- Ensure all internal policies and procedures are implemented with the group policies, local legal and regularity guidelines
- Ensure that filing of security documentation / obsolete documentation / all maintenances / instructions on own portfolio are in good manner and easy to retrieve if required
- Ensure that there is effective MIS in place to monitor performance of countries include Key Risk Indicators and that these reports are analysed and actions initiated where necessary
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the [US / GB / IMO/COBAM [team] to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: [Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.] *
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Federal Reserve Bank (FRB), NYS Banking Authority prescribed responsibilities and rationale for allocation
- Client Delivery Managers, Specialists, Makers, and Checkers
- Country IMO Head
- Lending Documentation Unit
- Commodities Transaction Management Unit
- Regional CDD Risk Managers
- Country Operational Risk
- Country Compliance
- Group Internal Audit
- Country Financial Crime and Risk Committee
- Financial Crime Compliance Continuous Assurance
- Early Alert Committee
- Credit Issues Committee
- Country Operational Risk Committee
- Business Operational Risk Manager
Our Ideal Candidate
- Embedding Here for good and the Group's brand and valued behaviours in the Integrated Middle Office team
- Performing other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures
- Meticulous with a good eye for detail; able to work quickly and accurately
- A team player with good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and able to cope with pressures from tight deadlines
- Good writing and presenting skills in English
- Proficient in MS Excel
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages .