Counterparty Credit Risk Portfolio Analysis
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firms employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
The talent and passion of our people is critical to our continued success as a firm. Together, we share five core values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic:
1. Putting Clients First
2. Doing the Right Thing
3. Leading with Exceptional Ideas
4. Giving Back
5. Committing to Diversity and Inclusion
Morgan Stanley is committed to helping its employees build meaningful careers and we strive to be a place for people to learn, achieve and grow.
Firm Risk Management
Firm Risk Management (FRM) enables Morgan Stanley to achieve its business goals by partnering with business units across the Firm to realize efficient risk-adjusted returns, acting as a strategic advisor to the Board and protecting the Firm from exposure to losses as a result of credit, market, liquidity, operational, model and other risks.
Our mission is to serve as the follow roles:
- Independent agent to set consistent principles and disciplines for risk management
- Strategic advisor to Firm management for setting risk appetite and allocating capital
- Industry leader to influence and meet regulatory standards
You will collaborate with colleagues across FRM and the Firm to protect the Firms capital base and franchise, advise businesses and clients on risk mitigating strategies, develop tools and methodologies to analyze and monitor risk, contribute to key regulatory initiatives and report on risk exposures and metrics to enable informed and strategic decision-making. Through thoughtful analysis and clear communication we are best able to bring our ideas to the table and improve the Firm.
Firm Risk Management values diversity and is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees.
Firm Risk Managements unique franchise promotes:
- Flat, flexible and integrated global organization
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Credible, independent decision-making
- Organizational influence
- Creative and practical solutions
- Meritocratic and diverse culture
Credit Risk Management (CRM)
Credit Risk Management (CRM) evaluates credit risk transactions and approves, rejects or modifies them considering the availability and appropriateness of arrangements for reducing risk or risk mitigation. The department also assigns Internal Credit Ratings; establishes and manages credit risk limits in accordance with the risk tolerance established by the Board; monitors and reports on credit risk exposures on a regular basis to the Chief Risk Officer, Chief Credit Officer and senior management. CRM also interacts with the business unit to ensure that credit risk assessments are factored into business decisions.
Background on the Position
CRM seeks a Vice President of Counterparty Credit portfolio analysis. The Vice President will support the Head of Counterparty Portfolio Analysis in conducting recurring and ad-hoc analysis to support senior management decision making related to the Firms credit portfolio. The Vice President will provide in-depth credit risk exposure analyses and risk insights for the Counterparty Portfolio. The Vice President will work closely with Credit Coverage officers, the Enterprise Credit Portfolio team, Business Units, and other Risk functions. The Vice President will be responsible for scoping and developing new analytical reporting in response to emerging risk issues, and will work with the central portfolio analysis team to transition emerging analysis into BAU recurring reporting.
- Work closely with the Counterparty Portfolio Analysis team and Enterprise Portfolio team to identify, analyze, and communicate exposure trends and developments
- Analyze and explain period over period exposure changes across a range of Counterparty credit risk measures, including current exposure, potential exposure, stress test exposures, and risk sensitivities
- Oversee the preparation and execution of recurring weekly, monthly, and quarterly analysis and reporting on the Counterparty portfolio
- Conduct ad-hoc analysis based on emerging risk trends or at the request of senior management
- Partner with Credit Officers to prepare portfolio reviews for specific products and participate in review meetings with business units
- Work closely with Reporting teams to automate recurring analysis. In addition, prepare ad-hoc analyses and prototype potential new reports
- Collaborate with Data Control, Credit Risk Agile IT squads, Credit Officers and Business Unit representatives, to ensure new and emerging data required for portfolio analysis is on-boarded into credit risk systems Qualifications:
- 8+ years of experience in Counterparty credit risk at a large financial services firm, including experience with portfolio level risk analysis and reporting
- Bachelors degree from an accredited university; CFA and/or FRM / PRM preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including delivering effective presentations to senior management
- Strong technical skills, including comfort working with large datasets via SQL; experience with VBA; strong PowerPoint skills; familiarity with business intelligence tools
- Deep understanding of products that generate Counterparty Credit Risk: OTC derivatives, Securities Financing Transactions, Prime Brokerage
- Experience and willingness to collaborate with colleagues in other geographic locations
- Ability to meet deadlines and deliver quality with keen attention to detail