- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Credit Suisse -
- 20 Jul 18
Credit Risk Review Officer #112701 - AVP - VP
Credit Risk Review Officer (AVP-VP), Credit Risk Review
The Credit Risk Review ("CRR") team at Credit Suisse is an independent review function which is part of the Credit Risk Management Division with focus on U.S. loan & derivatives.
CRR also functions as a liaison between internal stakeholders and constituents, the board, and the various regulatory agencies. CRR is a high-performing organization focused on close partnership and alignment to the various lines of business leaders, credit control, internal audit and the credit risk approvers.
CRR is responsible for providing an independent assessment of the credit quality and the management of credit risk. The incumbent will be tasked with working closely with Credit Risk Management (CRM), Corporate Bank, Portfolio Management Group, CRM Governance, and Internal Audit to ensure:
The US and global loan & derivatives portfolio has been appropriately reviewed;
Potential weaknesses at the borrower and/or portfolio level have been reported and an appropriate remediation plan is agreed to with the relevant stakeholders; and
Risks and credit issues are properly reflected in both the local and global risk frameworks as necessary.
Credit File Review
- Evaluate activities of lending and transaction support personnel in Corporate Bank and Credit Risk Management, ensuring compliance with policies, approvals, monitoring and risk assessment;
- Review loan underwriting practices including CS Credit Rating, Transaction Rating and US Regulatory Rating assignment and adherence to relevant policies;
- Identify loans with potential credit weakness and any relevant trends;
- Assess the effectiveness of problem loan management;
- Identify existing and/or emerging risks and credit issues relating to credit quality and management of credit risk including but not limited to: - gaps in risk rating accuracy, underwriting, credit approval, monitoring, relationship management and credit administration activities;
- Portfolio concentrations;
- Trends, overall condition, and emerging risks within the loan portfolios
Credit Portfolio Review
- Execute continuous and periodic risk-based loan review programs for all U.S. and global loan portfolios as directed;
- Identify portfolio trends at the sector/industry level;
- Manage a team of examiners, conduct full scope reviews of credit portfolios, and write reports of conclusions and recommendations emanating from the reviews.
- Monitor an assigned portfolio on a continuous basis, conducting transaction reviews of new business, and summarizing results and recommendations in quarterly reports.
- Ensure the aggregate risk profile is understood, is within risk appetite and is reflective of current market conditions and concerns;
- Ensure emerging risks are identified and highlighted to senior management;
- Provide senior management and the Board with an objective assessment of the US portfolio;
Reporting and Interface
- Prepare executive summaries, periodic reports, and presentations summarizing findings and recommendations to Board and its Risk Committee and executive management
- Recommend policy and procedural changes to executive management and business and credit units to correct deficiencies identified during loan reviews and strengthen the credit process
- Actively participate in the new product approval process
- Develop and implement a program for analyzing economic and industry data to identify potential impact on the institution's loan portfolio
- Evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of credit data and credit tracking systems
- Provide assistance and consultation to lending and credit personnel, auditors, and regulatory examiners
Technical and Professional Skills
- Provides coaching to team members, as necessary;
- Demonstrates strong credit skills and strategic mind-set.
- 7+ years of senior experience in wholesale credit in an underwriting, adjudication capacity, or as a bank examiner focused on wholesale credit;
- Understanding of SNC process, US regulatory ratings and regulatory examination process and practices is required;
- Experience with underwriting, assessing and approving leveraged lending transaction and understanding of the Interagency Guidance on Leveraged Lending;
- In-depth knowledge of lending products;
- Good understanding of counterparty credit risk will be an advantage;
- Graduate degree in a relevant field of study is desirable but not required;
- Good negotiation, verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to handle a significant and diverse workload;
- Ability to accept accountability, assume leadership and demonstrate initiative;
- Partnership mentality with respect to the Credit Suisse enterprise;
- Must have the highest level confidence of Credit Suisse regulators, Credit Risk Management and Corporate Bank senior management and peers;